Author Topic: A curious Nisfi of Akbar from ?Alwar with retrograde obverse legend  (Read 232 times)

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Here is a curious Akbar nisfi from ?Alwar. The obverse legend was puzzling until recently figuring out a possibility of retrograde strike. With a flipped image of the obverse, the coin Resembles #77334  of zeno posted by Amit. So attributing this to Alwar with a note of retrograde obverse legend.  Posting both original coin image and flipped obverse images for comparison.Please comment.
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: A curious Nisfi of Akbar from ?Alwar with retrograde obverse legend
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 08:30:00 PM »
A wonderfully bizarre coin. In Akbar's days, dies were cut directly, without intermediate dies and this is not an error strike. Therefore, the whole die must have been cut the wrong way around. Yet, it looks professional enough. A Monday morning die? Or did the die cutter take drugs as a medicine? Or did the minters throw a party the day before? :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 07:24:11 AM »
This i9s a Nisfi of Alwar. If memory serves me right, these were not uncommon. You may be able to find a couple of them on WoC also.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 07:38:25 AM »
Thanks Amit. This one was a difficult-to-crack nut to me for quite sometime.
Dr.Sreedhar