Author Topic: Alamgir II - Nawab of Surat issue. Rupee. Mint: Surat. RY 5  (Read 282 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Alamgir II - Nawab of Surat issue. Rupee. Mint: Surat. RY 5
« on: April 15, 2020, 05:58:49 PM »
There is confusion as to when the Nawab of Surat became independent of the Mughal authority. Hence it is quite difficult to attribute Surat issued in the name of the later Mughals. Oesho has attributed this coin of Alamgir II to the Nawab of Surat. Unfortunately, the coin does not show any date (either AH or RY). The symbol in the seen of the Julus on the coin on the other thread is a normal symbol of the Surat mint that was also used in Mughal times.

Here I present a coin which can be definitely be attributed as a Nawab issue. The issue is dated RY 5 and in the name of Alamgir II. THe symbol in the seen of the Julus here is the Persian letter 'Ain' and a vertical sword. I also have a coin dated RY 4 in the name of the same ruler which has the standard Mughal symbol.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Alamgir II - Nawab of Surat issue. Rupee. Mint: Surat. RY 5
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 11:28:46 AM »
I have some trouble finding the sword. Tried looking for a scimitar instead, but didn't find that either.

I guess your argument is that the change in sovereignty is reflected immediately in a change on thee coin. That seems like a practical approach. Have you spoken with Oesho on this particular issue?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 01:43:28 PM »
Sorry, Peter, I had meant to upload two images. The one with this post the 'AIN' (Persian letter) and Sword are pretty clear.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 01:47:26 PM »
I guess your argument is that the change in sovereignty is reflected immediately in a change on thee coin. That seems like a practical approach. Have you spoken with Oesho on this particular issue?

Yes I did exchange views with Oesho o this point and he reverted with the following:

"During the early decades of the eighteenth century, when the Mughal power was in its decline, the local governors like many of their contemporaries elsewhere in India, assumed near independent powers. Surat's "man of the hour" was a certain Tegh Bakht Khan. Together with his two younger brothers, he gained control of the historic port in 1733, making himself independent of the Mughal power in all but name. Tegh assumed the title of Viceroy and Nawab, later securing formal recognition from Delhi. Ao after 1733 (Moh. Shah 1146/Ry.16) we can't speak about Mughal issues.

I believe this will settle the issue once and for all. ALL COINS OF SURAT POST THE EARLY DATES OF MUHAMMAD SHAH ARE NAWAB ISSUES.

Amit

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 03:20:24 PM »
That second scan clears it up, but also opens another question on the first scan. I now think I can see the same symbol in the same place on the first scan, even though it is largely off flan. What would be what you call "normal symbol of the Surat mint that was also used in Mughal times"?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 05:52:31 PM »
That is the question. This is an unusual symbol. Never seen in any other Mughal coin. In fact, it is not seen on any other coin (other than the coins with RY 5) of Surat in the name of Alamgir II. I am trying to find out more on this and will revert as soon as I have some information.

Amit