News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Akbar Rupee Urdu Zafar Qarin - Undated

Started by TTerrier, March 15, 2020, 04:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTerrier

This was an interesting one - I really didn't know what this was when I acquired it other than the seller described the emperor and mint.

I did not know that "Urdu" meant camp and that these coins were struck by a travelling mint with Akbar's army - they remind me of the famous Mark Antony legionary series of coins which depict legionary standards on one side and a galley on the other.

This particular coin was struck on a small flan, so much of the perimeter inscription is missing.  Fortunately there are very close matches in Richard Plant's book ("Arabic Coins and how to read them" , pgs 114 - 115).

The centre of the obverse has the standard kalima while the perimeter lists the four Rightly Guided caliphs.  I have only filled in the one that had a reasonable amount of inscription left - Umar.  Letters in each of their names are extended to form the box that contains the kalima.

The reverse (according to Plant) translates as:

May Allah on high perpetuate his kingdom
Muhammad Akbar emperor
Glory of the faith, warrior against infidels
Struck in the camp associated with victory

I am a bit confused about how "ghazi" was translated as I thought Akbar was known for his tolerance for other religions - perhaps some other translation is more appropriate?

Akbar rupee, 11.20 gm, 18 mm, KM #82.9, cf Zeno #155896

Pabitra

Ghazi or Gazi (Arabic: غازى‎), a title given to Muslim warriors or champions and used by several Ottoman Sultans, may refer to: Ghazi (warrior), an Islamic term for the Muslim soldier.

Young Akbar assumed the title Badshah Ghazi after leading a Mughal Army of 10,000 during the Second Battle of Panipat, against more than 30,000 mainly Hindu adversaries led by Hemu.

See

Second Battle of Panipat (1556) | Panipat, Haryana | India

Figleaf

Great overlay! Thank you.

Don't take the titles too seriously. They are like jewellery: often acquired or inherited, not automatically deserved. The sultan of the minuscule Maldive islands routinely called himself sultan of the land and the sea on his coins. And what to think of all the English monarchs calling themselves king of France on their coins?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.