News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Which are the oldest circulation designs in Sub-Saharan Africa?

Started by <k>, March 07, 2020, 10:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

I note that some Sub-Saharan African countries have designs that originate from the 1950s (Djibouti), 1960s (Gambia and Madagascar) or 1970s - Central and West African States, I believe.

French Somaliland (now Djibouti), 1952.

I would have included Liberia, but that country is awaiting a new coin series. Whether it will include old designs remains to be seen.

Somalia is now a dysfunctional country, without circulation coins, to my knowledge.

Other countries in Sub-Saharan Africa may not even use coins any more - is that true?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Big_M

Also Malawi has recently (2012) reused the elephant (k10) design from 1964. NB. the heron (k5) is from 1971 and the eagle (k1) from 1996.

<k>

<k>

Gambia, 1966.

Gambia, current series.

The designs on Gambia's current coins come from the original predecimal set of 1966.

<k>

Swaziland, 1974.

Swaziland, 2015.

Some of the coin designs of Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) originated in 1974 and in the 1980s.

<k>

Madagascar, 1965.

Madagascar, 2004.

Madagascar, 1970.

Madagascar, 2003.

Some of Madagascar's current designs date from the 1960s and 1970s.

Figleaf

None of the above come even close to qualifying as "oldest". See this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Don't think this topic is about "oldest" coins in general. My impression was that it deals with "old" designs that are still used in today's coinage.