Author Topic: EH from Västerås  (Read 227 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
EH from Västerås
« on: February 05, 2021, 02:52:44 PM »
What was the Svenska nojesarenan - Swedish entertainment arena? A gambling hole hemmed in between a sex shop and an undertaker? A grandiose stadium? Something in-between? Who or what was EH? And how was this token used? Brass, 3.2 gram, 18 mm.

I am all the more interested because I have a token with the same simple but elegant denomination side but blank at the other side. I suspect it is a generic piece for gambling holes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: EH from Västerås
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 03:44:29 PM »
This is from an amusement park/tivoli at Västerås. EH is Erik Hellström (1889-1950). He also (possibly first) ran Hellströms Tivoli in Västerås, from which a 2 öre token is known, and together with his wife Hilda he ran Hotel Norrland, Stora gatan 38, Västerås, from 1937.

The Svenska Nöjesarenan tokens are known in denominations of 2, 5 and 25 öre.

Reference: Thelin B and Hildemar J. Svenska polletter från nöjesfält och tivoli. Svenska Pollettföreningens Småskrifter nr 5, 2020.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 03:51:11 PM »
Thank you, FosseWay, also in the name of the American lawyer RG, who was already drafting a cease and desist letter on mentioning parking places between an undertaker and a sex shop. >:D

With such an amusement empire, do you reckon that my one-sided 25 öre token was issued by Hellström also?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 03:57:07 PM »
Thank you, FosseWay, also in the name of the American lawyer RG, who was already drafting a cease and desist letter on mentioning parking places between an undertaker and a sex shop. >:D

With such an amusement empire, do you reckon that my one-sided 25 öre token was issued by Hellström also?

Peter

No, I think it's as you suggested earlier - it's an anonymous generic issue, but probably used in a similar establishment. That denomination-side pattern is frequently encountered.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 06:06:45 PM »
Here is the 5 mentioned above.

Peter