Author Topic: Age Coin  (Read 311 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Age Coin
« on: March 06, 2020, 12:53:53 AM »
A young Dutch friend gave me this. Apparently it is used to make certain a customer is 16+. Don't know where that gets you, for the age of drinking and entering serious bars is 18+. However. 
Both sides the same, except for the things flanking the letters 'LBT'. 21 mm, 5.90 gr.

-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Age Coin
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 06:35:38 AM »
See here for a global inventory and here for a discussion. Note the mintmaster and mint marks of the Dutch mint.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 07:19:07 AM »
Nothing left for me to say except they're to prove the age of a cigarette smoker rather than a drinker.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 08:47:54 AM »
I should have thanked you both earlier. Making amends: thanks for the information. So it dates from 2003 or shortly after.

--Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 09:47:24 AM »
IIRC it was a short-lived experiment, a lost battle against evil tobacco companies whose objective was to get people smoking as early as possible and didn't see anything wrong in handing out free cigarettes to minors.

It took harsh measures against smoking to win the war. Smoking was forbidden first in restaurants and caf├ęs, then in public buildings and public transport. Private enterprise jumped on the bandwagon, some of them banishing indoor smoking, other creating ugly smelling, but well-ventilated smoking room. Some social pressure finished off mainstream smoking.

This scenario is informative in the framework of climate change. It takes harsh legislation to beat the evil oil and mining lobby in spite of the stupid or addicted defenders of the status quo, but once the tide turns, social pressure will increase. The big difference with smoking is that for climate change, there is acute time pressure.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.