Author Topic: Muhammad Shah. Rupee. Mint: Junagadh. AH (11)32 / Ry. Ahd. KM#436.32  (Read 255 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
A rupee of Muhammad Shah - Weight: 11.69gm, minted at Junagadh Mint. The date is Ah 1132 / RY Ahd. (AH date seen at around 7 O'Clock on the obverse).

The coins of Junagadh end around the beginning of the reign of Muhammad Shah (I believe RY 7) and are extremely difficult to find. So, even though this coin was not in the best of conditions, I decided to add it to my collection.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Muhammad Shah. Rupee. Mint: Junagadh. AH (11)32 / Ry. Ahd. KM#436.32
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »
It's not the fault of the coin. The visible letters stand out sharp and clean. Human minters failed. The flan was rolled by hand when the metal was already too cold, so a crack appeared. Mint staff tried to hide the crack by rolling over it again. They not only failed, but also made the part around the crack thinner, so that when the die struck, it failed to make an impression on the thin part. I can well imagine the repeated shrugging among the minters and their supervisors, paid by piece.

Meanwhile, you have yet another prize coin in your collection, illustrating the difficult task of balancing preservation and rarity. In those circumstances, the one shroff mark becomes an asset, not a liability. Here's a coin you would have bought anyway, even if it had had more marks. Now that there's only one, you can tell your visitors about shroffs and say "I have an example of a shroff mark right here" to your unsuspecting visitors.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Muhammad Shah. Rupee. Mint: Junagadh. AH (11)32 / Ry. Ahd. KM#436.32
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
Peter, a BIG thank you for the excellent description of what could have happened and in fact what did happen.

Regarding the test marks, I would like to throw a little more light. There are two types of shroff marks. One is the "test mark" - a drilled hole to remove material to test for purity of silver. The other, the actual Shroff or Bankers Mark are marks made on coins which confirm that the coin has been approved for circulation in a specified area confirmed by the local banker or shroff. Once, it was approved by a local shroff, it was not required for the locals to drill the coin and test for purity since the confirmation of the local banker was already affixed on to the coin.

From my experience, these marks were noticeably more prevalent on coins of most Southern mints - areas that did not stay in Mughal hands for long. So most likely, people up north, in Mughal controlled areas, got them certified for use in their area. Each banker had his own seal / design so that the locals were aware that it was their trusted banker who certified it for local circulation. If it moved out of the bankers area of influence, the local banker there applied another certificate.

Amit 
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"