News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Guinea weight

Started by KRM, January 28, 2020, 08:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRM

Found this brass beauty in a box of old coins.  Have seen similar of George III, also by Kirk F. This is dated 1748- but not produced until the end of 18thC I presume. Any information gratefully received
Weight 10gm Diam 25mm
KeithM
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is OPTIONAL!!

eurocoin

bagerap

It looks to be a coin weight, and a lovely one too. Early hours of the morning right now, so I won't break out the books, but from memory the issued weights of British gold coinage fluctuated a bit in the C18th and so dated weights were issued corresponding to the issue dates.

I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable will come along before long to correct any mistakes I've made.

Figleaf

John Kirk was a British medallist and gem engraver. He was born in 1724, a pupil of J. A. Dassier and he shared a workshop with his brother (?) in St. Paul's churchyard, London, where he died in 1776. His signature is below the bust I(ohn) Kirk F(ecit) - John Kirk made this.

The brothers made luxury medals on the battle of Culloden (1746) and Cumberland's role in it. They probably sold well, so they tried their hand at a cheap medal for sale in the streets of London, something that looked like gold and could easily be converted into a patriotic pin, medal or watch fob. Weights tend to be less detailed, smaller and thicker than the real thing, I am afraid.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

bagerap is correct, it is a coin weight and should weigh in the region of 8.3g the weight of the relevant guinea.

Sheppard & Musham listed it as # 93 in their catalogue Money Scales and Weights. This was a catalogue of the collection in the Hull museum but sadly the entire collection was lost to enemy action in WW2

Here is the relevant paragraph.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

A sovereign weighs 8.35 grams. This piece is stated to weigh 10 grams.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

Hopefully Keith will check the weight again.
Malcolm

KRM

Sorry for the confusion over the weight.
Had it weighed at a local jewellers  this morning---8.20gms !
I realised my coin scale was playing up, so the initial weighing was on kitchen scales. A 5gm weight came up as - 5gms. lulled me into a sense of false security re  George.
Now need to get a 100gm weight to calibrate the coin scales
Grovelling apologies.
I was under the impression it was a gaming token,but we lives and learns
KeithM

KRM

have just trawled thru Fleabay and found a 1755 version- ebay No -302405688984
Its been up since November last, at a Buy I Now price of - Gulp, £249.99.
Realistic price or not?
KeithM

Figleaf

As a weight, it will be a bit more in demand, as there are plenty of balance sets with missing weights, but still, £250? The market for such a piece is not deep enough for a set price. The Dutch equivalent of the English expression "A fool and his money are soon parted" is "wat de gek er voor geeft", whatever a fool will offer". There may well be someone out there who is ready to offer £250. Other collectors will pass immediately.

Peter

malj1

Quote from: KRM on January 31, 2020, 08:50:19 PM
have just trawled thru Fleabay and found a 1755 version- ebay No -302405688984
Its been up since November last, at a Buy I Now price of - Gulp, £249.99.
Realistic price or not?
KeithM

I looked at that one you mention "George II 1755 Guinea I. Kirk F. Brass Coin Weight Token Nice Grade Approx 8.4g / 26mm" to see he has included the weight

...a dealer who has other things also very much overpriced.
Malcolm

KRM

Thanks for your responses, folks. I, too, thought the seller was pushing his luck a tad , which perhaps is why its been there since November
KeithM