Author Topic: Muhammad Shah rupee Azimabad RY8  (Read 330 times)

Offline TTerrier

Muhammad Shah rupee Azimabad RY8
« on: December 29, 2019, 12:54:19 AM »
This is the last one for this weekend and posed a challenge.  I purchased this from Stephen Album and so I was able to rely on his mint attribution which I never would have figured out myself.  However, I couldn't find a decent example of the mint name on Zeno so I am really guessing as to how the letter forms would appear on the coin.

Some of the words also seem to be in a different order on this coin - I think I have it right but corrections are welcome.

Based on what is visible of the last number in the AH date I think AH 1138 is a reasonable inference to make, since only an 8 would have a downward pointing element at the beginning of the number.

Finally, after seeing mitresh's nice rupee with the banker's mark I noticed there was one on this coin - bonus!

Muhammad Shah rupee, 11.59gm, 22.0 mm, RY8, AH 1138, Azimabad mint.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:34:40 AM by TTerrier »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Muhammad Shah rupee Azimabad RY8
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 07:04:23 PM »
When I read your comment, I was wondering about that last digit. Having seen the picture, I'd have gone with an 8 also. The angle is just right and the character just a bit shorter than the descenders in the rest of the date. Great. Except that what you have on your overlay looks like a 7. ;) Or were you just checking if we were paying attention?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline TTerrier

Re: Muhammad Shah rupee Azimabad RY8
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 06:37:17 AM »
Well that was a bit sloppy on my part - I plead Arabic dyslexia!  I've fixed the overlay so it actually makes sense - thanks for the heads up!