Author Topic: Akbar, AR Ilahi Rupee set of 12 months, Ahmadabad mint  (Read 472 times)

Online Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My blog page on coins
Akbar, AR Ilahi Rupee set of 12 months, Ahmadabad mint
« on: January 01, 2020, 07:07:14 AM »
Hi,
Happy new year 2020 everyone!
Akbar introduced major coinage change in India. One of the major change he introduced was the addition of month names in coins. As he issues round and square rupees alternately each month, each coin had the name of farsi month. This practice, costly as it was, continued till some part of Shah Jahan.
This is a set of 12 months of rupees from Ahmadabad mint from Akbar. The months are in farsi, each representing a zodiac element:
Farwardin (Aris), Ardibihisht (Taurus), Khurdad (Gemini) , Tir (Cancer), Amardad (Leo) , Shehrewar (Virgo), Mihr (Libra), Aban (Scorpio), Azar (Sagittarius), Di (Capricon), Bahman (Aquarius), Isfandarmuz (Pisces)
Some of these coins are quire common but some of them are not easy to acquire.
Thanks,
Saikat
------------------------------------
Started a blog at https://saikatscoins.blogspot.com/

Offline jaspersaini

Re: Akbar, AR Ilahi Rupee set of 12 months, Ahmadabad mint
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 10:58:19 AM »
Happy New year to all collectors.

Thanks for the post. I checked my collection, and I am missing two years - Ardibihisht and Mihr.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 10:59:39 AM »
Excellent work, Saikat. Keep it up. A challenge is to accumulate all 12 months of any specific year. This is a challenge since most coins do not show both digits of the date. SO getting 12 months of any year is a tough job.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline jaspersaini

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »
I know a collector in Punjab ( India), who was so much into to collect Jahangir Patna Rupees, year by and month by. It's a tough job, but not impossible.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 12:59:05 PM »
It is indeed a tough job. One mint for one ruler is difficult but not impossible. I am attempting all Gujarat mints for all Mughal rulers as well as all Princely states. An impossible task but yet will not give up. I have a fairly good collection by now. The only problem is that I have had to give up my earlier collection due to space and funds constraints. 

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Online Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My blog page on coins
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 06:29:49 PM »
Thanks all. It took me more than a couple of years to complete the set. The Shehrewar (Virgo) was the toughest and kept me waiting for more than a year. Don't know why this month is so scarce.
Thanks,
Saikat
------------------------------------
Started a blog at https://saikatscoins.blogspot.com/

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »
Impressive feat, Saikat. Congratulations and thank you for the overlay, which is utterly useful. We had a thread on the months here, which was ruined by the barbarians of photobucket. May this thread take its place.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.