Author Topic: Aurangzeb: AR Rupee, Khambayat, AH 1093 RY 25.....stars, flowers, rosettes!!  (Read 264 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Mughal Empire, Aurangzeb, Silver Rupee, Khambayat, AH 1093 RY 25

A beautiful and ornate rupee, decorated with star, flowers and rosettes, of an otherwise stoic and strict ruler known for bland and simple coin designs!

Khambayat, also known as Khambat or Cambay, is located in Anand Dist of Gujarat state in India, and was famous as a trading port located at the appropriately named Gulf of Cambay. When the harbour silted up, its prominence declined and trade moved elsewhere.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
You choose your coins well, Mitresh. Elegant design, that. I agree that Aurangzeb must have been a dark dull dork. There is a Chinese saying, though, that the heavens and Beijing are far away, meaning that locals may have a different opinion. Sailors, having spent a long time on a ship are always capable of livening up a city, one way or the other. Maybe all the festivities on the coin were meant to get people in the right mood to receive sailors and their money?

An alternative speculation that appeals to me is that a rowdy band of sailors proclaimed one of their favourite ... mmm ... waitresses mint master and she thought it was high time to brighten up the coins. After all, as Madonna put it, "girls just wanna have fuh-hun!"

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
I like the waitress theory.......perhaps her 'wiggle and shake' routine got her enamoured enough at the royal harem to influence appointment as mint-mistress, to liven up proceedings not only 'at office' but ensue fun-n-frolic with coin designs too !!

The Emperor ofcourse would not have been amused and seen 'stars' hence the coined money stayed within the port and sailors, exchanged one pint after another, before someone fell and lost it somewhere prior to it being dug-up and winging its way to me!
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.