Author Topic: Half-Dam of Humayun?  (Read 320 times)

Offline TTerrier

Half-Dam of Humayun?
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:00:27 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just starting out in Mughal coins and I need some assistance with this one (which was included as an extra by the seller with some rupees).  It is a somewhat beat-up half-dam (I think) weight 8.97g  15.5 mm.  I think I can see Dar-ul-Khalifat on the obverse but only the very top of the mint name is visible - not enough for me to figure out.  On the reverse it is difficult to see if the second digit of the date is a 3 or 4; the last digit could be a 5 or a 9 with a really short stem.  If a 5 then this could be 935 or 945; if a 9 then 939 which fits within Humayun's reign.

These copper coins are really quite neat - very thick with inscriptions that could never possibly fit on the flans.

Any help is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:01:04 AM by TTerrier »

Offline Seeker55

Re: Half-Dam of Humayun?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 04:47:23 AM »
Could be this one, a Bahloli of Humayun from Agra. The one in Zeno is dated 942, yours looks like 945. Please check this coin in Zeno versus the other side of yours (only one side posted here) and keep in mind variations of dies and striking positions on flan.

Zeno - Oriental Coins Database - Humayun, AE Bahloli, Dar al-Aman Agra, AH942
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:07:06 AM by Seeker55 »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »
Could be this one, a Bahloli of Humayun from Agra. The one in Zeno is dated 942, yours looks like 945. Please check this coin in Zeno versus the other side of yours (only one side posted here) and keep in mind variations of dies and striking positions on flan.
Indeed a Bahloli, which was a standard coin issued during the reign of Babur & Humayun, till Akbar changed the coinage to the Suri standards.. Date looks like 945 AH. Unfortunately both images are of the same face while the mint is on the other face.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline TTerrier

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 02:01:55 AM »
Thank you both for your help - I've now fixed the original post to include the correct picture.