Author Topic: Hong Kong 50  (Read 340 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Hong Kong 50
« on: December 11, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »
So my wife is fluent in Mandarin...but she translates it into Mandarin.  Not helpful, love!  Pretty 1977 Hong Kong 50 Cent.  Xiang Gang Wu Hao (I think...just don't ask me what that means and if I offended I apologize :-)    Small coin, 2cm and 7.52 gm.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:44:19 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Hong Kong 50
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 09:26:47 PM »
The characters are Chinese, but the language spoken by a large majority of the population of Hong Kong is Cantonese. The vertical characters are 香港, pronounced Xiānggǎng in mandarin and they mean Hong Kong. The right horizontal character is 伍 or 50. I take your wife's word for the other one being hào, which probably means something like cent.

This coin was struck in Llantrisant, a traditional Chinese village near Victoria. Well, it is actually in Wales and houses the UK mint :) Hong Kong did have its own mint for a while, because the British tried to take over making Chinese coinage. When that didn't work, the mint was dismantled and sold.

In 1979, the roles were reversed. Negotiations eventually resulted in a treaty that "guaranteed" Hong Kong's economic and political systems for 50 years, i.e. up to 2047. Since the transfer, the Chinese have systematically reversed or undermined democratic rights, sparking periodic unrest and now demonstrations that confront irresistible demands with the immovable dogma of the Chinese communists. China now uses record amounts of "security" cameras, linked with face recognition software to drive mass arrests - a technique developed against Uighur moslems. Thereby, the Chinese are unwittingly making a case for security camera privacy legislation in democratic countries as well as a case against China's claim on Taiwan.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Re: Hong Kong 50
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 12:43:23 AM »
I have some neighbors who speak Cantonese.  I'll have to check with them!  That is why we love our coins...you just never know what you'll learn :-)
The Chief...aka Greg