News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Plastic in coin cartons and plasticizer

Started by UK Decimal +, October 29, 2009, 11:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK Decimal +

Thank you.   We are very alike in our views.

I am wondering if Proof/BU will deteriorate badly if left open to the air in an album.   When I look at some Crowns that I got about five years ago (admittedly to circulation standard, from the Post Office), it is surprising how much they have dulled.   But it does make them easier to scan than with a brilliant finish!

I think that I shall probably be going for the album option unless anyone can talk me out of it.   That means that I shall open packs as necessary but keep year sets in proper display boxes intact.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

a3v1

Quote from: UK Decimal + on October 29, 2009, 11:34:18 AMI am wondering if Proof/BU will deteriorate badly if left open to the air in an album. 
Bill,
Many metals, especially silver, will detoriate if left open to the air for a prolonged period of time. But in my albums no coin is left open to the air as I always am using self-adhesive coinholders. These cardboard coinholders have a crystal clear acid free window and are closed hermetically.
Regards,
a3v1 
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

UK Decimal +

Ah!   Good, that is the sort of thing that I'm looking for.

I have a few Proofs that are mounted in 5mm x 5mm card with a clear insert the size of the coin and assume that these are the sort of thing that you're referring to.   Any idea where I might get suitable cards and album pages in the UK?

Bill. 

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

a3v1

Quote from: UK Decimal + on October 29, 2009, 12:03:29 PMI have a few Proofs that are mounted in 5mm x 5mm card with a clear insert the size of the coin and assume that these are the sort of thing that you're referring to.   Any idea where I might get suitable cards and album pages in the UK?
Bill.
These cards will be 5cm x 5cm rather than 5mm x 5mm. ;) Several brands, both German and Dutch, are on sale everywhere in the Netherlands.
My favourite brand is "Importa". Their website has a section in English as well, so probably their coincards and albums also are on sale in England. Try www.importa.nl (You can also order online).
If ordering, make sure you order the self-adhesive coincards. They also sell the (cheaper) coincards that need to be stapled. These "staple cards" are less effective and also may damage the pages of your coin albums.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

UK Decimal +

Quote from: a3v1 on October 29, 2009, 12:29:58 PM
Bill.
These cards will be 5cm x 5cm rather than 5mm x 5mm. ;)

That is the problem with expecting an Englishman to think metric.   I should have put 2" x 2".

Just a thought, I should be visiting Amsterdam soon; do you know anywhere there that might have them?

Bill.

Bimat

The self adhesive coin holders are available here,but the tag 'Made In China' makes me afraid. ;D But they look very attractive than the stapled ones.

Both types of holders are cheap here-the self adhesive cost 150 INR (~3 US$) for 50 pieces,while the others cost 100 INR for 50 pieces 8)

I keep all my coins in these coin holders,and then the coin holders are transferred to my coin album(which needs to be neatly organized now ::)).
Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

And to comment on how far you should persue your collection-I think I'm too young and unexperienced to answer your question ;) My ultimate answer would be to go ahead with whatever you are collecting till a saturation level is attained (having a complete collection/not having only the scarce varieties which you can not afford etc).
My own experience is that though you have a specific theme of collection,you always come across some coins which do not really fit into your collection,but it goes directly to your coin album. :)It has happened with me several times..For me,there is no specific boundary as such..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

UK Decimal +

I agree.   I'm now trying to find a local source of the white card holders and suitable album pages.

At least, once my main collection (all UK decimals) is complete I will only have to add new years to it.   I will probably cover other coins by pages in a separate album, depending on how many pages I need.

I think that I have the ideas on how to proceed but I am always willing to listen to anyone else.

Thank you.

Bill.

a3v1

Quote from: UK Decimal + on October 29, 2009, 12:39:22 PMJust a thought, I should be visiting Amsterdam soon; do you know anywhere there that might have them?
Bill, Assuming that this forum doesn't allow posting specific names and adresses of dealers, I'll be sending you a personal message.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------

UK Decimal +

Message received and reply sent.   Thanks very much.   This shows how we can help each other.

Bill.

Figleaf

Quote from: numismatica on October 29, 2009, 02:23:06 PM
The self adhesive coin holders are available here,but the tag 'Made In China' makes me afraid. ;D But they look very attractive than the stapled ones.

You have a point to be wary, Aditya. The Chinese are not known for their scruples when it comes to safety in products and safety is an important consideration when you use coin cartons. The plastic film that forms the window may affect your coins if they contain plasticizer. Since it is traditional and cheap to use plasticizer, I would suspect the Chinese cartons are dangerous until otherwise proven. The only way to prove it is to make a ten year test as below.

Bill, I worry over your crowns becoming dull. Are you sure you are using plastic without plasticizer? I would advise you to do a little test. Take a dull crown that you bought shiny at least ten years ago out of its carton. Rub it firmly with soft cloth (old baby clothes are perfect). If the brilliance returns and you get a malodorous black spot on the cloth, you got bad plastic.

You can imitate the self adhesive look with hard glue, sold here in hard plastic tubes with a bottom that can be screwed up.

I am not sure self-adhesive coin cartons will keep the coin airtight. I noticed that the glued parts can come apart again when the carton contains a big or thick coin. As a precaution, I keep my cartons closed with pincers for at least 24 hours, to make the glue harden while the carton is closed. Anyway, this is less of a problem if you live in a non-polluted environment (Mars, for instance) or if you consider that many people find natural toning attractive.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Quote from: Figleaf on October 29, 2009, 03:59:54 PM
I am not sure self-adhesive coin cartons will keep the coin airtight. I noticed that the glued parts can come apart again when the carton contains a big or thick coin. As a precaution, I keep my cartons closed with pincers for at least 24 hours, to make the glue harden while the carton is closed. Anyway, this is less of a problem if you live in a non-polluted environment (Mars, for instance) or if you consider that many people find natural toning attractive.
Peter
With the old Indiancoins, especially copper Dams of the Mughal series and other state Paisa and Takka which are all very thick, There is a major problem. I have to use Holders a few sizes bigger than the coin and then staple the holder. If I do not use the larger holders, The plastic tears and the coin pops out.

Indian cities are polluted and dusty. Unless I use these holders the coins tarnish in no time. I only hope that the holders I have are plastizer free. I was assured that they are acid and oil free. I only hope that they refer to the plasticizer as oil.

I almost lost my entire collection of British India Bank Notes which I had put in an album and kept it in a locker, free from dust and sunlight. I did not open it for tow or three years. Oil has leached out of the plastic in a few pages but I could salvage most of my collection. A few coins - Local FSS issues which were in another album showed rust marks. I was fortunate that they were current circulation issues and I did not have trouble replacing them. However this was before I started usin the coin holders. British India silvers and coppers had tarnished and I had to use soft cleaning to get the coins atleast in 'lookable' state. I am trying to replace that lot with new purchases. (I will try your recomendation of light rubbing with a soft - may be khitted cotton - fabric) to see if I can salvege a few..

I only hope the suppliers do not fool the buyers as they are not only fooling a buyer but ruining a part of world history.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

Quote from: asm on October 29, 2009, 04:29:33 PM
I will try your recomendation of light rubbing with a soft - may be khitted cotton - fabric) to see if I can salvege a few..

A method I have heard about but not tried to remove the plasticizer residue is a soft eraser.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

UK Decimal +

It's only recently that I've started getting Proof/BU coins and I haven't opened any of them yet, with the exception of one of the £5 for £5 Olympics BU which I am carrying in my pocket to give it a circulated look.   It could also attract the attention of other collectors or someone who might say "I've got a couple of them, do you want them?".   I believe that there's lots of coins that could be obtained that way just by showing someone that you're interested.

My first choice is for coins in the very first stage of circulation and I have many straight from the bag after it had been emptied into a till.   This, or any 'almost uncirculated' is what I desire.

I'm still wary about opening sealed Royal Mint packs unless I know that I can store the coins safely afterwards.   It's not that I have them as an investment but I want to keep them looking nice, and I think that the Royal Mint products are possibly some of the best quality available.   I do also have a few second-hand proofs which I want to care for although they are no longer perfect.

Further ideas are welcome.

Bill.

Bimat

I don't like the appearance of stapled holders,but so far I have used them because I was not very sure about the quality of China made self adhesive holders.However,I'll be taking a risk this time,I'm buying them in the next coin fair (there is only one dealer who sells self adhesive coin holders,from Madras!What we get here are the normal holders),at-least for my bimetallics ,because I want them to look attractive. :)

Aditya