Author Topic: Akbar. Dam. Mint: Dar al-khalifat Lakhnau, AH 985  (Read 342 times)

Offline jkk

Akbar. Dam. Mint: Dar al-khalifat Lakhnau, AH 985
« on: November 22, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »
For an ID, I came up with a Mughal dam c. AH 969, Dar-al-khalifat, Dogan, MWI 3087. 20.5g, 21.6 mm (this coin is very thick). Is my ID correct?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:46:44 PM by saro »
Jonathan

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: bronze/Cu Mughal paisa type
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 05:27:16 PM »
"Dar al-khalifat Lakhnau" (Lucknow) and not Dogaon.
The mintname is widely cut at bottom (1st scan) and these dams are indeed very similar.
The date in digits is widely off too (at bottom of 2nd scan), fortunately the date is also written in full words (persian) and  gives :"nuhsad wa hashtad (wa) do / نهصاد و هشتاد ودو   "   AH 982
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline jkk

Re: bronze/Cu Mughal paisa type
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 05:32:49 PM »
Thank you, Saro. With that valuable assistance I was able to catalogue it as MWI 3117. I definitely would never have been able to sound out the date on my own.
Jonathan

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar. Dam. Mint: Dar al-khalifat Lakhnau, AH 982
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 09:57:26 AM »
Never is a long time, Jonathan. Admittedly, saro is a magician with texts on coins in Arabic characters, but there are other members of World of Coins that can pull off reading an Akbar dam, so you can learn to do it too.

You have some important advantages already: you have a basic knowledge of the script, you are OK with getting it wrong, happy to be corrected and you have good documentation. Intuitively, I would say that the only ingredient that needs adding to is experience. Once your own coins are all fully identified, there's plenty of stuff on this site to practice on. Happy travels!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 01:07:01 PM »
I beg to differ with Bernard sir (Saro). The date is 985AH. The 'panj' is seen on the left upper corner of the date side
Dr.Abhishek

Offline jkk

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 04:56:35 PM »
You have some important advantages already: you have a basic knowledge of the script, you are OK with getting it wrong, happy to be corrected and you have good documentation. Intuitively, I would say that the only ingredient that needs adding to is experience. Once your own coins are all fully identified, there's plenty of stuff on this site to practice on. Happy travels!

Thanks, Peter. How far I will advance in the art remains to be seen, I grant. But there is nothing like the inexhaustible challenge of world and ancient numismatics, at least for me. It gathers in the studies of language, history, culture, and even metallurgy, then applies some deductive/forensic reasoning. And with a forum of this type, where one may reach out to global knowledge, all those understandings can advance.
Jonathan

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 05:46:29 PM »
I beg to differ with Bernard sir (Saro). The date is 985AH. The 'panj' is seen on the left upper corner of the date side
Exact ! thank you for the correction : "do / دو "at right top that I read as a number is in fact the last "d" of a "hashtad" followed by "wa" ... "panj / 5 " is clearly present at left !
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)