News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Mystery coin designs - guess which country!

Started by Galapagos, October 27, 2009, 06:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galapagos

No, it's not in any way Chinese-related. Lots of countries include dragons in their historical myths.

Turkey, I have to say, is getting close, Christian.

Figleaf

The deleted denominations are very short. Kyat, pya is my guess.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Galapagos

Quote from: Figleaf on October 27, 2009, 09:15:49 PM
The deleted denominations are very short. Kyat, pya is my guess.

Peter

No - you're way out too, Peter! This is proving to be an interesting worldwide trip!  :D

Afrasi

Galapagos

Afrasi

chrisild

Hmm, I am currently looking at some pieces from Georgia, and there is a lion and a gryphon. But no 2 1/2. Hmm.

Christian

Galapagos

It isn't the Yemen, though I can see where you're coming from. Georgia is another intelligent guess - when I saw these designs, I immediately thought the same - but that's wrong too!

Afrasi

Eagle and dragon kites ...

Should it be at last ... Afghanistan?

Galapagos

No, not Afghanistan. You have to think of the clues. If you said, "Afghanistan is in Asia", nobody would argue with you.

chrisild

Quote from: Ice Torch on October 27, 2009, 09:30:21 PM
No, not Afghanistan.

Ah, but we could go through the alphabet from there. ;)  This darn 2 1/2 denomination still confuses me.  Judging from the geographical hints, I would now guess Cyprus ...

Christian

andyg

Quote from: chrisild on October 27, 2009, 10:08:15 PM
Ah, but we could go through the alphabet from there. ;)  This darn 2 1/2 denomination still confuses me.  Judging from the geographical hints, I would now guess Cyprus ...

Christian

Just a thought, but 2½ = 6 Old Pence or 4½ Piastres in Cyprus's case.

Galapagos

Quote from: chrisild on October 27, 2009, 10:08:15 PM

Christian

Guess you win the cigar, Christian! You were the first to get close, and now you've got it! This 2½ denomination was never actually used. I said it wouldn't be easy!

The designs were all by William Gardner, who designed the reverse of the UK 20p (1982-2008). He also designed the reverses of the first decimal coins of the Falkland Islands.

Anyway, here are all the prototype designs. Marvellous work by the late Mr Gardner.

Galapagos

I'm quite fond of this set. The ancient times theme is somewhat different from the norm. Interesting that only one of the prototype designs was used in the end. And of course, the Cecil Thomas crowned effigy of QEII appears on the obverse.

chrisild

Quote from: Ice Torch on October 27, 2009, 11:52:24 PM
This 2½ denomination was never actually used.

No wonder I/we had such a hard time finding amatching piece in our collections and catalogs ...  Interesting to see such Coulda Been designs, and compare them to some that were actually minted. Thank you for digging these up and showing them to us!

Christian