British Museum: Notgeld Exhibition (Oct '19–Mar '20)

Started by chrisild, October 15, 2019, 11:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

If you happen to be in London between now and late March, and are interested in German notgeld of the late 1910s/early 1920s, the British Museum has something you may want to see. The exhibition "Currency in Crisis" shows about 100 notgeld issues from the museum's vast collection.

Curated by Johannes Hartmann, the show demonstrates how notgeld was not only some local alternative currency. Many issues had political messages or advertised the issuing city or region. "Currency in crisis – German emergency money 1914-1924" opened a few days ago and can be seen until 29 March 2020.

Christian

Figleaf

Not all dates have been set and March is a candidate, so I have a chance, but the message of the exhibition is a bit ... uhhh ... unsurprising?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Depends on who sees it, I guess. ;) The British Museum has an enormous notgeld collection - roughly 18,000 notes, I think. Hartmann picked 100, and apparently has one room to show them. So some museum visitors may simply pass (there is so much else to see), others will say, ha, I know all this ... and a few may find the exhibits interesting.

Christian