Author Topic: UK Commemorative coins for 2021  (Read 7407 times)

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Re: UK Commemorative coins for 2021
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2021, 12:05:44 AM »
It’s probably me being thick, but I’m not sure I understand the difference between “collectors coins” and “commemorative coins”.  Can you clarify?

Commemorative coins are the 10p, 50p, 1 pound and 2 pound coins. Collectors coins are the pieces with the usually higher denominations and larger size that are legal tender but not made for general circulation. The cash cycle is not designed for them.

Commemorative coins are what on this forum is being referred to as "special circulating coins" and collectors coins are here being called "non-circulating coins".

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2021, 12:41:51 AM »
Ah, I see.  So these will be £5 coins then?  That’s good, I don’t collect those!  Seems odd that Beatrix Potter, Paddington etc are “only” worthy of 50p coins while the Mr Men get the £5 treatment though.

Offline Deeman

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2021, 10:04:08 AM »
Ah, I see.  So these will be £5 coins then?  That’s good, I don’t collect those!  Seems odd that Beatrix Potter, Paddington etc are “only” worthy of 50p coins while the Mr Men get the £5 treatment though.

Disappointing! Pockets need to be deeper and at a time when people are struggling. Like you Alan71, there will be no sales from me.

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2021, 11:46:13 PM »
The Royal Mint has stopped deliveries of the Decimal Day 50p BU pack. The pack contains an error that The Royal Mint will rectify. Delay is expected to be 4-6 weeks. The booklet in the BU packs says "The design for 2020" which of course should have been 2021.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:32:50 AM by eurocoin »

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2021, 11:58:01 PM »
Some people remarked that the 1 farthing coin depicting the wren that can be seen on the commemorative coin has not too much to do with Decimal Day as it had been demonetized a decade earlier, in 1960. I thought it an interesting observation. It is somewhat odd that they chose to include the farthing coin but not the half crown, that was minted and in use up until Decimal Day.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2021, 07:21:40 AM »
I think they included the farthing because of the wren - it's more appealing in the design and it is more rooted in the memories of people who remember pre-1971 coins in use. Neither of my parents is particularly interested in coins but if I ask them "What was on the tails side of the farthing?" they'd know immediately, whereas they'd be a lot less sure about the half-crown (which, for avoidance of doubt, had the royal arms on).

Offline Deeman

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2021, 09:33:01 AM »
I think they included the farthing because of the wren - it's more appealing in the design.

Totally agree, and the halfpenny is also worth noting as these two coins departed from heraldic / royalty themes. I just wish RM would issue designs for the currency range that normal 'folk' can associate with.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2021, 09:43:26 AM »
Totally agree, and the halfpenny is also worth noting as these two coins departed from heraldic / royalty themes. I just wish RM would issue designs for the currency range that normal 'folk' can associate with.

And the 1937-52 threepence. Totally agree regarding heraldry. With hindsight it feels as if there was a move in that direction in the 1930s, with the new farthing, halfpenny and threepence, but that that movement away from traditional national heraldry stopped. Possibly because of the war - people doubled down on the traditional overtly patriotic/nationalistic designs.

Offline Deeman

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2021, 10:31:13 AM »
Disappointing news for all those looking forward to the Mr Men coins. In contrary to my previous message they will be collectors coins, not commemorative coins. 3 different coins will be issued this year for the commemoration.

I meant to ask this question last week when I received an email from the RM about registering interest for the Mr Men issue, but it slipped my mind (age related!):

Should RM have issued such an email prior to the issue of the Royal proclamation?

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2021, 11:24:21 AM »
By this point she will already have seen the theme and the designs and not have objected to that so the official proclamation will just formalize that. The royal proclamation is a mere formality. Officially there is a chance that the Queen will not approve the release of the coins, she can of course change her mind until the proclamation has been approved. That would mean that the Mint will have to cancel the release but that chance is extremely small.

As long as the coins aren't being issued before the Queen has approved them, officially there is no problem. However, announcing the theme before the Queen has officially approved it could be interpreted as the Mint thinking they are above the Queen. For that reason I don't like this at all and find it questionable behaviour. It is not the first time that The Royal Mint has done this.

Offline Deeman

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2021, 11:41:43 AM »
By this point she will already have seen the theme and the designs and not have objected to that so the official proclamation will just formalize that. The royal proclamation is a mere formality. Officially there is a chance that the Queen will not approve the release of the coins, she can of course change her mind until the proclamation has been approved. That would mean that the Mint will have to cancel the release but that chance is extremely small.

As long as the coins aren't being issued before the Queen has approved them, officially there is no problem. However, announcing the theme before the Queen has officially approved it could be interpreted as the Mint thinking they are above the Queen. For that reason I don't like this at all and find it questionable behaviour. It is not the first time that The Royal Mint has done this.

Thank you for the reply eurocoin. I did think that RM's email was questionable.

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2021, 07:29:47 PM »
Conservative MP Caroline Nokes has today asked Jacob Rees-Mogg in parliament to use his influence so that a commemorative coin will be issued for the passing of Sir Tom Moore. Rees-Mogg, who is involved in the official approval process of commemorative coins, welcomed the idea and hoped to receive a request for approval of such coin from The Royal Mint in due course.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:42:32 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Deeman

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2021, 10:24:48 AM »
Conservative MP Caroline Nokes has today asked Jacob Rees-Mogg in parliament to use his influence so that a commemorative coin will be issued for the passing of Sir Tom Moore. Rees-Mogg, who is involved in the official approval process of commemorative coins, welcomed the idea and hoped to receive a request for approval of such coin from The Royal Mint in due course.

Splendid proposal. I hope it does become a reality and maybe a portion of the profits generated from BU sales etc., can be passed on to the NHS.

I will add that I was appalled by London-based Reverend Jarel Robinson-Brown's tweet condemning nationwide clap 'does not undo hurt'.

Online eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2021, 10:56:58 AM »
Personally, I am really not sure about this proposal. Maybe a coin to mark the end of the COVID pandemic with some reference to him, but not specifically one for his passing. Furthermore the Royal Mint has in the last year treated Sir Tom as garbage so I would really hate to see The Royal Mint profiting from a coin released to commemorate him.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:11:04 AM by eurocoin »

Offline Deeman

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »
Rees-Mogg welcomed the idea and hoped to receive a request for approval of such coin from The Royal Mint in due course.

Surely the RM can be instructed to produce a specific coin.