UK Commemorative coins for 2021

Started by Pabitra, October 11, 2019, 09:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radars_teddy

Quote from: eurocoin on June 26, 2021, 09:23:47 PM
It appears that on a significant amount of the coloured 2021-dated Team GB 50p coins the paint was not applied on the logo. Many people are complaining about this. As it is only a small area that is painted, it is extra noticeable when the paint does not align precisely. Some of the known variants can be seen below. C is what the coins are supposed to look like.

Cool coin though

eurocoin

The Charles Babbage 50p, as part of the Innovation in Science 50p series:
The design was made by Nigel Tudman and Jas Bhamra.

radars_teddy

eurocoin

It appears that very recently, likely earlier today, the dies of the SYO press at The Royal Mint Experience have clashed again leading to interesting pieces being struck:
The current Strike Your Own coin is the Decimal Day 50p.

Figleaf

Instead of yabp (yet another boring portrait), the design tries to capture what the commemoration is about: the differential machine. The man and the machine needed each other, of course, but the man is dead and the concept of the machine lives on in our computers, phones, cars and toasters :), so it does and ought to take precedence. For some good pictures of different parts and angles of the machine, look here. (link in french)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

radars_teddy

QuoteInstead of yabp (yet another boring portrait), the design tries to capture what the commemoration

But it fails misserably, which is too bad because the Babbage machine is actually a thing of beauty and could have been a beautiful subject for a coin

augsburger

Quote from: eurocoin on September 13, 2021, 10:17:27 AM
The Charles Babbage 50p, as part of the Innovation in Science 50p series:
The design was made by Nigel Tudman and Jas Bhamra.

As a Babbage, I'm a little annoyed that they wrote this "babbage" and not "Babbage". How hard is it to get the writing custom of a capital letter right?

eurocoin

As of today, the 2021-dated Britannia 2 pound coin is the new Strike Your Own coin at the Royal Mint Experience.

<k>

And just how is this a commemorative coin?

It's a standard circulation coin. I have however never seen a single one in circulation.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

Only 3,575,000 Britannia £2 coins (from two dates: 2015 and 2016) have ever been issued into circulation.  That's fewer than many circulating commemoratives, so although it's not a commemorative, it's still desirable as a strike-your-own.  It's only available as part of sets otherwise.

Is the Royal Mint's updated mintage figures list really correct?  No commemorative £2 coins have been issued for circulation since those dated 2016?

https://www.royalmint.com/corporate/circulating-coin/uk-currency/mintages/two-pounds/

Deeman

Quote from: Alan71 on September 24, 2021, 07:18:21 PM
Is the Royal Mint's updated mintage figures list really correct?  No commemorative £2 coins have been issued for circulation since those dated 2016?

It is correct to date, but I think that eurocoin has mentioned that some 3,000,000 of 2020 75th Anniversary of VE Day will be eventually released.

eurocoin

No, it is not a commemorative. And yes, the Royal Mint's pages are correct. No VE-day 2 pound coins will be released into general circulation.

eurocoin

From 19 November there will be a new SYO coin at the Royal Mint Experience.

eurocoin

Enter code BND252 for a free commemorative coin with your order from The Royal Mint. According to the information I was provided, the code expires 26 October.

Offa

Personally I think the centenary of the founding of the British legion should be foremost on the list of commemorative coins.
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others