Cook Islands - fantasy?

Started by Pabitra, September 12, 2019, 04:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

image.jpeg

Recently I was offered this coin

Is it a regular issue or fantasy?

eurocoin

Although there is no official information on these, I believe they are non circulating legal tender coins of the Cook Islands.

Pabitra

The official set, minted in Australia in 2015, had done away with denominations below 10 cents.
How come this denomination has been minted?

What are the other denominations in this NCLT set and have they been minted from a mint other than China?

eurocoin

It is a non-circulating coin so you shouldn't think too much about the denomination. The Cook Islands have in the past too issued aluminium collectors coins with a denomination of 1 cent.

<k>

Cook Islands 1c 2017.jpg

Apparently the bird is a wren.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

MCz

This is the smallest coin that I have in my collection. Made from aluminium so weight is practically nothing ;-)
Also was not sure if this is genuine as initially avaliable only from chinese sellers and no information about this coin in any source, but I bought it as the price with shipping was only few dollars.
Seems that there is no other coin in series, only this one 1c. The coin can be ofiicially approved by Cook Island, I guess... in history there were a lot of silver coins with very local subject (for example typically Polish) issued by local mints and these coins were oficially approved by Cook Islands.

<k>

Cook Islands 1 cent 2017.jpg

Cook Islands 1 cent 2017-.jpg

Larger images.

I do not know whether this an official collector coin of the Cook Islands.

It features a wren.

eurocoin

I have just emailed my longtime contact at the Ministry of Finance & Economic Management of the Cook Islands in regard of this piece. He should be able to provide more information about it.

<k>