News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Annual ONS-meeting in Leiden (Netherlands) on Saturday, 20 October 2018

Started by Oesho, September 17, 2018, 10:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oesho

Dear friends,
The annual meeting of the Oriental Numismatic Society in the Netherlands, will be held on Saturday 20 October 2018 at the premises of the Leiden University, Cleverdingaplaats 1 at Leiden. Members of continental Europe may be separately informed with the next Journal #233.
Till then and for all others who didn't receive the program of the meeting, it can be found at the ONS-website http://www.onsnumis.org/leiden2018.shtml
Some of the topics of the meeting will be:
• Yiğit Altay: Introduction on the coinage of the Ilkhans (Mongols of Persia);
• Karan Singh: Legends on Yaudheya Coins;
• Sid Satbhai: Financial Instruments of the Indian National Army;
• Patrick Pasmans: Tokens of the Habib Bank.
• Paul Stevens: Work in progress.
As usual there will also be room for questions, news items, etc. Members are invited to come forward with it. Traditionally, at the end of the meeting a small auction of Oriental coins and related books will be held. The proceeds of this auction is a welcome addition to the ONS-funds. For the auction list see: http://www.onsnumis.org/auctions/auct2018.pdf
All the lots of this auction has been uploaded at the ZENO.RU Oriental Coins Database. https://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=15330
Absentee bids for this auction are welcome and need to be sent, either by post or e-mail to me.
People who want to attend the meeting are requested to inform me at the latest before the 17th of October 2018.

Figleaf

At last, a date on which I can attend! I'll be there and I hope to meet you and prhaps other WoC members. Maybe you have a few minutes on such a busy day, so we can discuss what came out of the Dublin meeting?

In case you are a former Leiden student: the address is that of the Lipsius building.

Also, in line with our anti-spam policy, I removed your email address. People who want to contact you can send you a PM. It's the same thing as an email, but spammers can't use it. We don't want email harvesting bots to cause you discomfort with a flood of spam or worse.

Special note for bookworms: I noted a copy of Saran Singh among the items to be auctioned. This book is hard to find in Europe.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

A good group of 33 people attended, 5 of whom were WoC members. ONS had provided a food for thought agenda, with talks by Karan Singh, Ellen Raven (Gupta gold and how to classify them), Patrick Pasmans (tokens of the Habib bank) and Paul Stevens (what is Paul Stevens up to?) Our member Oesho announced he will step back as regional secretary. Mr. Stevens will succeed him.

Many attendees had brought duplicate coins, that changed hands during lunch and breaks. The auction offered a large and varied number of coins and books. My impression (I forgot to bring a pen, so I couldn't take notes) is that the expensive pieces went for more than estimated, while the cheaper ones went below estimate or failed to attract a bid above the reserve. Personally, I won 5 coins of the 18 I wanted, in spite of a nice war chest.

I will try to contact Mr. Stevens Pasmans to see if and how we can expand contacts between ONS (Europe) and WoC.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oesho

Dear Peter,
Thanks for your kind report. Indeed I will step back, by 1-1-2019, as Regional Secretary of continental Europe and not Paul Stevens, but Patrick Pasmans will succeed me.
Paul Stevens has recently succeeded Joe Cribb as General Secretary of the ONS.