News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Private grading

Started by brandm24, July 13, 2019, 01:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

Good not to get into the "market grading" thing, Dale. That opens up a huge can of worms.

I always felt that the 70 point grading system was ridiculous. Way too narrow differences between a 65 and 66 for example. And that's not considering the huge jump in value from one grade to another for some coins. The whole system is contrived and confusing.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Prosit

Cultivated is a very good word. The original systems was workable although arbitrary.
As it evolved it moved from collector driven to seller driven. And that is where it went wrong.
Well, that is the largest bit that went wrong. Unfortunately most collectors bought into it and contributed
so that the grading changes snowballed. Now it is hard to tell who wants to inflate the grades more, the seller or the buyer.

Anyway I tend to follow non-USA standards in my own grading and most of the time don't even grade a coin other than broadly.

Dale
PS
I still like G, VG, F, VF, EF, AU and MS as grades. Seven grades works very well for me  :)

Quote from: brandm24 on July 13, 2019, 01:31:34 PM
Good not to get into the "market grading" thing, Dale. That opens up a huge can of worms.

I always felt that the 70 point grading system was ridiculous. Way too narrow differences between a 65 and 66 for example. And that's not considering the huge jump in value from one grade to another for some coins. The whole system is contrived and confusing.

Bruce

brandm24

I'm very satisfied with the old simpler categories too.

Since I collect mostly counterstamps these days, I rarely grade anything. I take note of the condition of the host coin, but the most important thing to me is the condition of the stamp itself. As long as it's clear and legible and the coin isn't badly damaged I'm good with it.

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

Bruce, I have to agree.  I was just curious.  Didn't cost all that much for the grading.  If I remember correctly I was about 9 years old when I bought that pretty for about $10.  I've had it for a long time :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

gpimper

Dale, I agree, seven base grades are just fine.  I'm not a seller or a buyer, just a collector.
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

I have sold coins but mostly because I had extras or I had collected coins in the past that I lost interest in and wanted to consolidate current interests.
More often than that I have traded coins around the world.

I tend to put coins for sale up for auction and make no hype about them and I usually don't mention grade but I do mention any flaws I see. Never had one returned.
Currently and Sloooooowly I have been getting rid of collector-only coins except for a few I particularly like.

With US coins I usually pay a little more attention to condition but for most of my collection I grade them like this:

1. Not good enough for me to want
2. Good enough
3. Very nice
4. Wow

;D

Dale

Quote from: gpimper on August 02, 2019, 03:13:37 AM
Dale, I agree, seven base grades are just fine.  I'm not a seller or a buyer, just a collector.

brandm24

So that would be:

NGE /  Any steps like NGE-1 or NGE-2?
GE / That's about what I grade my counterstamps. This might unearth a conflict with General Electric though
VN / This would be the equivalent of AU, methinks.
WOW / Self explanatory

I think I'm going to adopt your grading system, Dale. We'll move ahead with this and get some of the most influential people in numismatics to endorse it. Let's see, what did I do with Dave Bower's email address? ;D

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

Maybe we can copyright it and make a billion billion  ;D

dale

Prosit

NGE = damaged and or below G-4 In European terms this is somewhat equivalent to Poor, some in the USA might dare to call it AG-3

GE = no damage and grade G-4 through VF-20
VN = between VF-20 and AU
Wow = AU-55-MS-927 but not MS-928 or better  >:D

Dale

Quote from: brandm24 on August 02, 2019, 05:50:13 PM
So that would be:

NGE /  Any steps like NGE-1 or NGE-2?
GE / That's about what I grade my counterstamps. This might unearth a conflict with General Electric though
VN / This would be the equivalent of AU, methinks.
WOW / Self explanatory

I think I'm going to adopt your grading system, Dale. We'll move ahead with this and get some of the most influential people in numismatics to endorse it. Let's see, what did I do with Dave Bower's email address? ;D

Bruce

Figleaf

Although it is at times somewhat whimsical ;), this trends deals well with a systemic issue: wear is analog (in an infinite number of steps), grading is digital (in a limited number of steps). How many steps you need is a personal matter.

Until quite recently, church bells rang every 15 minutes and that was enough for most people. Wind-up watches gave time in minutes, until a hand for seconds was added, but they weren't very precise. Computer clocks align with atomic clocks. They are very precise, but who needs it? So it is with grading. Grading Greek and Roman coins is a church-bell system with 3 to 5 grades. Grading later coins is a wind-up clock system outside North America. North American grading is an atomic clock system, except that there's no atomic clock.

One of the many benefits of computers is that it is quick, easy and virtually free to make and send a picture. For me, that translates into two situations you might call "who cares" and "send me a picture, please/I'll send you a picture". For those who argue that pictures can be doctored: you mean grades are always honest? Bye bye grading.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Quote from: Prosit on August 03, 2019, 03:02:40 AM
Wow = AU-55-MS-927 but not MS-928 or better  >:D

MS928 or better = SU (Simply Unbelievable) grade?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....