UK Commemorative coins for 2020

Started by eurocoin, July 12, 2019, 01:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

The new Peter Rabbit 50p will be released on Thursday March 19. It will be the last coin in the Beatrix Potter 50p series.

eurocoin

The Royal Mint Experience has decided to after today close its doors for the foreseeable future because of the corona crisis. The Strike Your Own Iguanodon 50p, which was the SYO since yesterday, is likely going to be very rare.

FosseWay

Are the SYO coins themselves different from the same design struck otherwise, or is it just the packaging that differs?

eurocoin

Quote from: FosseWay on March 17, 2020, 02:48:27 PM
Are the SYO coins themselves different from the same design struck otherwise, or is it just the packaging that differs?

No, it is just a special packaging. The coins themselves do not differ from the ones in regular BU packs.

FosseWay

OK, thanks  :)

No extra variant for me to look for then! (Personally I'm not bothered about the packaging, if any.)

eurocoin

The 15th and also last coin in the Beatrix Potter Series will be available from 9 am UK time.

eurocoin

The 2020-dated Peter Rabbit 50p will not be released into general circulation.

eurocoin

The 2020-dated Peter Rabbit 50p can now be bought from the Westminster Collection for face value (free postage - max. 1 per person). Have a look here.

Update: No longer available.

eurocoin

The 2020-dated Peter Rabbit 50p can now again be bought from the Westminster Collection for face value (free postage - max. 1 per person). Have a look here.

Update: No longer available.

eurocoin

The next coin in the Music Legends 5 pounds series is sheduled to commemorate Elton John. The coin was planned to be released soon. The issuance of the coin has however been postponed at the request of Elton John. The reasons for this are unknown.

It is a very ugly coin.

MCz

Quote from: eurocoin on March 23, 2020, 09:51:56 PM
The reasons for this are unknown.
It is a very ugly coin.
Maybe this is a reason :-)

FosseWay

Hasn't Elton John been ill recently? It may be that he wanted to be involved directly in the launch. And no-one's launching anything in the UK now for at least three weeks, anyway.

Deeman

Not wishing to appear pedantic, but for the sake of consistency, I would have thought that posts regarding £5 coins would be better placed under 'Non-circulating decimal coins'.

<k>

Quote from: Deeman on March 24, 2020, 10:24:02 AM
Not wishing to appear pedantic, but for the sake of consistency, I would have thought that posts regarding £5 coins would be better placed under 'Non-circulating decimal coins'.

Not all threads contain only one subject or the other. Because this thread is about 'UK Commemorative coins for 2020', the majority of which are always now going to be the 50 pence and 2 pound coins (and there are usually two or more examples of each per year now), these outnumber the 5 pounds coins. Since the majority of coins in this thread do belong in this category, perhaps it is best to make an exception and keep the thread here in this sub-board. After all, it is better to keep all the new issues for a year in one thread. Those are my thoughts. However, Alan71 is the moderator here, so it would be interesting to know his thoughts.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

The Olympic Games have now been postponed until 2021. It will be interesting to see the consequences (if any) of this decision for the UK's issuance program and the 2020-dated Team GB 50p that so far was only available in the annual set.