New Commemorative Issue: 2019: Vikram Sarabhai

Started by kansal888, March 31, 2019, 03:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kansal888

Dear friends

2019 will be centenary year of Vikram Sarabhai. He is regarded as father of Indian Space Programme.

Sarabhai established IIM Ahmedabad and also started a programme to put India's first satellite Aryabhatt in orbit in 1975

A major space research centre of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), focusing on rocket and space vehicles for India's satellite programme is named after Vikram Sarabhai.

I hope Govt will issue commemorative coins of Rs100 on centenary of Vikram Sarabhai.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

kansal888

Some of the most well-known institutions established by Dr. Sarabhai are:

1 Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad
2 Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad
3 Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre,
4 Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad
5 Faster Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR),
6 Varaiable Energy Cyclotron Project,
7 Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL),
8 Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL),

Source: ISRO

kansal888

Vikram Sarabhai

kansal888

Dear friends

The coin of Rs 100 has been confirmed on Vikram Sarabhai. The Gazette is being issued.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

kansal888

Commemorative coin issued on Vikram Saeabhai

Figleaf

Thank you, kansal.

While you are faithfully keeping track of these events and reporting them here, I sense a growing feeling of what I would call "commemorative fatigue" (CF) among our members, witness the lack of reactions in this thread. CF is a national disease.* I am not sure which country got hit first. Maybe it was Poland. When new issues reached 12 annually, the market unravelled and even small time speculators gave up. Today, the prime example is the UK. Our UK members are now in the despair phase or they have given up. I wonder how it is in India. About how many new commemoratives are being issued annually? Are there signs of despair? Are there collectors, or even retail investors giving up?

Peter

* CF should not be confused with fund-raising or foreign currency raising issues, e.g. from North Korea, Cuba, the former GDR and other (former) communist countries as well as from assorted Pacific micro-states. They are aimed at foreign retail investors and sometimes not even available within the country of issue.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kansal888

Yes Peter, you are bang on target. There is a perceptible fatigue for commemorative coins in India. I noticed two things

1) I sensed that collectors are gradually moving from commemorative coins to error coins which are considered more exotic. It is another matter that many of the errors are of doubtful origin.

2) Govt of India has stopped issuing circulative commemorative coins in base metals with low denominations like 1Re, 2Rs, 5Rs and 10Rs etc . Now many collectors can not afford to buy commemorative coins. Not everyone has means to.buy a 35 gm coin with 50% silver. This has diminished the interest of common collectors.

Meanwhile I am uploading a pic of coin release function. I.am unable to upload hi resolution pic due to size limitation.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

kansal888

Quote from: kansal888 on August 13, 2019, 05:45:05 AM

It is another matter that many of the errors are of doubtful origin....

Friends, you may recall that few years back, I did an educational lost about fake error coins. I posted images of few error coins, which I myself made at home. Shockingly as soon as I posted the pics, I started to get offers from collectors to buy my coins.

I will be glad if someone can please post a link to my post.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Figleaf

You mean this thread?

A 300dpi image will look exactly the same as a 3 000dpi image, simply because computer screens cannot handle more than 300dpi. A high-res picture on the screen is useful only if you need to zoom in on the picture. If you ever need to post a high-res picture, just post it on one of the many picture sites on the internet and either embed it or post a link.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kansal888

Quote from: Figleaf on August 13, 2019, 03:12:26 PM
You mean this thread?

A 300dpi image will look exactly the same as a 3 000dpi image, simply because computer screens cannot handle more than 300dpi. A high-res picture on the screen is useful only if you need to zoom in on the picture. If you ever need to post a high-res picture, just post it on one of the many picture sites on the internet and either embed it or post a link.

Peter

Yes, you are right. I posted images of those coins in some Whatsapp groups and Facebook groups also. Without thinking twice, people started contacting me to sell my error coins. They almost goaded me to sell these fake errors. They were ready to pay high prices.

dheer

http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

ajitjshah

Hello,

Does anyone has received Vikram Sarabhai coins? I booked it in January 2020 and I have not received it so far. I did received other coins booked in same order as that of Vikram Sarabhai coin. Hence this query.

Regards,

Ajit

dheer

http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies