Author Topic: Akbar (AH963-1014/1556-1605AD): Damri (1/8 Dam), Hazrat Dehli, AH971, KM#10.1  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Akbar (AH963-1014/1556-1605 AD): Damri (1/8 Dam or 1/16 Tanka), Mint Hazrat Dehli , AH971, KM#10.1

The denomination is extinct, but the name "Damri" lives on in a saying so often used to describe a miser: Chamri Jaye par Damri na Jaye (He would prefer being skinned than parting with even a single damri!)  :D

Mass=2.5 g

Obverse Zarb Hazrat Dehli (Struck at Hazrat Delhi)

Reverse Fi Tarikh 971 [In Year 971 (AH)]

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:37:38 AM by Overlord »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The seeds that Oesho planted bear very rich fruits. I see Richie grow from collector to a numismatist who knows what he wants. I have seen Overlord go from interested layman to amazing expert in a very short time. I have seen asm go from slightly bored collector to self-assured numismatist being able to figure out really difficult coins, also in a matter of months. Others are already waiting in the wings. This is not just a boon for this site, it is important in its own small but significant way for India.

The site is growing quickly and I can't be everywhere any more, nor do I need to be, thanks to skillful moderation, but even if I don't react, I keep admiring the great stuff that is posted here. Thanks, guys.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline MS

Overlord, the proverb is so well known to people who speak Hindi/Urdu. It is wonderful to see the coin from which this proverb originated. Many thanks for sharing.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Oesho sent the following:

The Damri shows, due to its weight and size, often only a small part of the
legend. The early types (KM#10) are quite scarce and the dates are usually
in words and therefore usually not completely readable.

Below you find a few damri’s of KM#11-type, resp.:
(1) Akbar, Damri, Dehli, Ilahi year not clear, month: Di
(2) Akbar, Damri, Lahore, Ilahi yr.39, month: Amardad
(3) Akbar, Damri, Sambhal, Ilahi yr.39, month : Amardad
(4) Akbar, Damri, Urdu Zafar Qarin, Ilahi yr. 35, No month.

Another rare type, with only one letter difference, is the Damra (1/4 Dam or
1/8 Tanka)
Mughal coins very rarely show the denomination. This coin, without mint-name
show the denomination Damra, with the Ilahi yr. 33 (KM#17.1) A similar type
of a Damri denomination, also exists (KM#12.1). Both coins are very rare and
represent probably a short lived experience, as they are known for one year
only.

(5) 

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
As usual Overlord, I admire and look forward to your efforts.  Fantastic.
That is quite a series Oesho! 
Do the terms “damri” and “damra” derive from customary usage during the time of Akbar, through the inherent meaning of the two words, or through recent discourse on the topic?
Richie

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
The seeds that Oesho planted bear very rich fruits. I see Richie grow from collector to a numismatist who knows what he wants. I have seen Overlord go from interested layman to amazing expert in a very short time. I have seen asm go from slightly bored collector to self-assured numismatist being able to figure out really difficult coins, also in a matter of months. Others are already waiting in the wings. This is not just a boon for this site, it is important in its own small but significant way for India.

The site is growing quickly and I can't be everywhere any more, nor do I need to be, thanks to skillful moderation, but even if I don't react, I keep admiring the great stuff that is posted here. Thanks, guys.

Peter
Peter,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It is this encouragement as well as the unstinted help in reading and explaining the coins as well as teaching how to read the coins, historical anecdotes and actual history which has made life and learning fun. Details and explanations on really complex coins and discussions on these have increased my interest in coins manyfold. This has, as I have mentioned in the past, increased my interest (and as a consequence knowledge) of coins.

I do admire the way Overlord has pickedup and gained and hope some day to overcome my fobia for languages and learn to actually read the old Indian coins.

I once again salute the help of richie, Oesho, Overlord as well as yourself (and a a host of others) in bringing me to where I am today.

Congratulations and three cheers to the WOC team.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"