News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Akbar, Dam, Balapur mint, Ilahi 47

Started by Saikat, March 03, 2019, 08:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saikat

Hi,
Attaching a dam of Akbar from Balapur. This one have the mint name written in both sides. Ilahi 47, month Tir.
Obv:Zarb Bapapur
Rev: Ilahi 47/ Tir Balapur
20.06 gm
No KM reference.
For some reason, this type of coin was issued only this particular month.
Thanks,
Saikat

Figleaf

I suppose it is a major accomplishment to have read the coin. Would making an overlay be an option?

Do you mean that this type was struck for one month only or that the mint existed for a month? In the latter case, it may have been a camp mint, in which case, that would explain the strike quality. Anyway, congratulations on this acquisition. It must be a really hard type to find.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Saikat

Hi Peter,
I tried an overlay taking help one from Dr.Abhishek in facebook.
Balapur mint existed for Akbar for quite some time.  The 'Maharashtra State Gazetteer - Akola District' has the following historical information:
"Balapur is a historical town mentioned in Ain-i-Akbari as one of the richest paraganas in the Subah of Berar. The town probably existed long before the Moghal invasion.
In 1577 a quarrel ensued between Salabatkhan and Sayyad Murtiza Sabzavari, the Subhedar of Berar, and the latter attacked Salabatkhan with Berar armies. But Salabatkhan defeated him. Sayyad took refuge with Akbar who had already granted asylum to Burhan Nizam Shah, the brother of Murtaza Nizam Shah, the reigning Sultan of Ahmadnagar. Akbar ordered Mir Azam Khan alias Khan Azam, the Subhedar of Malva to move his armies in Berar for action. He captured Balapur and Ellichpur in the year 1594.
The entire province of Berar was finally made over to the Moghals by the agreement that Chandbibi entered into with Murad, the son of Akbar who had besieged Ahmadnagar. Murad accompanied by Khan-i-khanan settled at Balapur and established the town of Shahpur near-by in 1595. The military station of the Mughals was established at Balapur which was famous at that time for artistic articles manufactured from the stone quarried from the local river."

However, for a particular month this type coin was issued. This might be due to an oversight of the mint master which was not corrected. But the die was remade every month, this was corrected.
Thanks,
Saikat

Figleaf

Thank you, Saikat. That's a superb overlay!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

abhinumis

Hi Peter and Saikat,
An excellent coin and rare to get with mint on both sides. I dohave not think it was asaturday mint master mistake as the same type is seen even with Burhanpur mint. The overlay needs a little correction with balapur at bottom and word following balapur is 'mah' with 'Tir' besides 47. and I think it will be easier for Saikat if he sees another one. Here is a set of dam and half dam of the same type with mint name on both sides. The half dam is ex rare. I have not yet encountered a quarter dam yet. I have a set of burhanpur both sides with dam, half dam and quarter dam.
Dr.Abhishek

abhinumis

Red- Balapur, Green- Mah Tir, Blue- falus, Black- 47, Yellow- Ilahi
Dr.Abhishek

Saikat

Hi,
Many thanks for the correction. I have changed my overlay.
Saikat