Akbar - light weight falus. Kabul mint . Ad'l falus type- interesting

Started by abhinumis, December 28, 2018, 12:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhinumis

Hi all,
I would call this coin very interesting !
Early coinage of Akbar from Kabul are known as silver shahrukhis .In fact Kabul came to mint under Mughal weight standard very late and shahrukhis even in early 980s are well known. However , copper coins of this period is rare. However it can be predicted that probably copper coins of Kabul would also be in central asian weight standard. Here is a copper coin I added recently.
Akbar light weight falus, mint Kabul. 970AH/975AH. Ad'l falus.
Obverse- Ad'l falus 970/975 counterstamped on an unknown timurid coin.
Reverse- Zarb Kabul counterstamped on other side.
The flan is very thin and similar to shahrukhis. These coins are also similar to those found for humayun and babur from Agra mint. I would invite comments from other experts specially Saro and Oesho
Dr.Abhishek

saro

This 2011 thread and this one concerning Agra mughal light coppers could be of interest?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

abhinumis

Do you think these kabul ones also follow same metrology as the Agra light weight falus Bernard sir? Or these Kabul ones follow some central asian metrology ? Can you predict the undertype in the overstruck coin based on the weight ??
Dr.Abhishek

saro

In absence of official references, the possible early copper mughal coinage of Kabul is a kind of ink pot  :-[
Just a few personal thoughts...
The silver coins struck at Kabul by the early mughal rulers, Babur & Humayun (and Kamran mirza)  were tanka or shahrukhi  of  1 mitqal  were based on the existing central asia standard weight, no copper coins seem to have been struck by a mughal mint at Kabul  (?) and my feeling is that small change copper coins were local currencies used in the whole area with various weights according to local policies of amirs and economic variations, validated for use in the city by a stamp " 'adl Kabul" .
I don't know if the Agra light and thin coppers maight have been struck too at Kabul?
I have recently seen for sale a timurid copper (likely 850-900 AH, and may be flattened before overstrike ?) with multiple counterstamps; among them  : " 'adl Kabul " in a square, and "zarb Kabul"
Counterstamps "'adl Kabul 1000 or 1001" are found on old Suri paisa (+/- dam standard) .

This practice may have been in use at least till the creation of the Ilahi era when a mughal standard seems to have been adopted; half dams dated Ilahi 32 & 33 are well known and in the last 5th-6th years of Akbar reign after the introduction of the tanka / tanki series, official copper coins of Kabul mint are well known but seem to have been struck in small quantities (4 tanki, half and full tanka are rare).
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)