News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Sultans of Dehli, Shihab al Din Umar, billon six gani,D242

Started by Saikat, August 26, 2018, 02:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saikat

Hi,
Attaching a six gani of the third ruler of the Khalji dynasty, Shihab al Din Umar. The son of Alauddin Khalji , he was made  the king by Malik Kafur on January 1316, after Kafur imprisoned and killed his other brothers.
He was the ruler for three months until his surviving brother Prince Mubarrak shah was able to get Kafur assassinated.  In April 1316 Prince Mubarrak detained Shibabuddin and became the Sultan. Shibabuddin was moved to Gwalior where he died the same year.
Obv: Arabic legend al Sultan al azamShihab al-dunyadwa l din.
Rev: Arabic legend abu l muzaffar Umar Shah al Sultan,
715AH,
3.55g
G&G D242.
Thanks,
Saikat

THCoins

Congratulations on this aquisition ! This still is a scarce coin which one encounters only seldom.  Some previously were shown here

Thank you for adding the overlay ! Very instructive to our members still struggling with Arab calligraphy (like me sometimes).
I would have made some slight differences in the transcription, though. You separate in your text as "wal din" and "abul muzaffar". In your color overlay though, the al- part is included in the following word. So i'd say the text transcription might better be "wa al-din" and "abu al-muzaffar"  ?

Anthony

capnbirdseye

Vic

Saikat

Anthony,
Many thanks for the correction. This helped me a lot as some other Khalaji coins have the same text arrangement.
I  have updated the picture.
Thank you!
Saikat