Help with identifying this Pagoda

Started by gsrctr, August 14, 2018, 06:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsrctr

Can any one identify this porto novo style pagoda? It looks like it is either by Dutch or British, from the coarse granulation on the reverse. The distinguishing characteristics are on the obverse - the deity is not full figure and the two squares on either side of the deity. One of the coins below is from my collection (weighs 3.43 grams) and I found the other while searching across old auctions.

Oklahoman

Does pagoda have more than one meaning?  8 am not seeing a building.  It appears more to me to be a statue of a being

gsrctr

The pagoda was a unit of currency, a coin made of gold or half-gold minted by Indian dynasties as well as the British, the French and the Dutch. The pagoda was issued by various dynasties in medieval southern India, including the Kadambas of Hangal, the Kadambas of Goa, and the Vijaynagar Empire.

For more information, please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagoda_(coin).

Figleaf

The Wiki lemma is woefully incomplete and I don't feel up to completing it. Just do a search on "pagoda"on this site to keep you busy for a few days ;) For one thing, while most pagoda types are tiny and with varying gold content and showing one or more deities, collectors may be more familiar with the large silver pagodas issued by Madras that actually do show a building. For another, the pagoda was one of three main coin weight standards when the British colonised India.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.