Author Topic: The coinage of Namibia  (Read 5405 times)

Offline Big_M

Re: The coinage of Namibia
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2020, 01:16:47 PM »
I recently had a meeting with the Principal Banking Officer at Bank of Namibia and have asked the same questions.
I have a 2000 gold N$2 coin. There are also a N$5 coin with the exact specifications as the N$2 coin.

Still waiting for answers ...

I think MDM was involved in these, usually they use different nominals for the Smallest Gold Coin series in case the coins are minted in different gold alloys. I have a suspicion $5 is 1/25 oz of 999 gold and $2 is 1/25 oz of 585 gold, but that could be tested only by putting these coins in mass spectrometer.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2021, 10:47:13 PM »
There is a name missing from this topic, that of Bernard Sargent.

From page 23 of the following document on the site of Bank of Namibia.....

[link]https://www.bon.com.na/CMSTemplates/Bon/CustomDocuments/BoNResourceManual2019.pdf[/link]

>>>>All designs received for coins were rejected by the Cabinet, after which it was decided to announce a competition for coin designs in June 1992. The competition was launched in the same month with the closing date being 28 August 1992. More than 140 sets of designs were received. After scrutiny by professional artists and technical experts, the Cabinet decided to award the prize for the designs of the N$1 and N$5 to Bernard Sargent of the South African company Metal Image. The designs for 5c, 1Oc and 5Oc were awarded to the mint of Finland. Quotations for the minting of these coins had to be received by the Bank of Namibia by 9 October 1992.<<<<

This adds to what <k> said in reply number 11.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2021, 11:18:48 PM »
Excellent find! I quote my earlier post:

The Mint of Finland produced these coins. Unusually, the set did not include a 20 or 25 cents coin.

Jukka Uusitalo of Finland, who was a student at the time, designed the reverse of the 5, 10 and 50 cents. Jukka told me by email that a fellow student had produced some bird designs for the set, but the Namibians used the bird designs of a South African artist (name unknown) instead. The Mint of Finland produced the coat of arms design for the obverse of the coins.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »
According to Mutual Art, Bernard Sargent is a South African postwar and contemporary artist who was born in 1921.

Image by Bernard Sargent, copyright of Mutual Art.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2021, 02:29:04 PM »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2021, 09:19:05 PM »