Getting Coins In UK

Started by Bimat, July 21, 2018, 03:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Apparently, my sister hasn't found anything spectacular in Manchester so far. She's in London right now, so fingers crossed...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

My sister is back from UK (Well, that's an old story, she returned in the month of August!).

She did bring quite a few coins for me, none of which were commemorative. ::) They mostly used their credit card, so cash use was minimal. She also brought the new polymer notes for me, so it wasn't a total disappointment. :)

She also bought a very nice medallion at Kensington Palace for me, thinking that I also collect/like those. While I liked it, I'm not planning to start collecting them!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

quaziright

Funny story, I was walking through Kensington palace when I came upon the games room. There was a 18th century poker-like table with replica coins from that period. I picked up one of them to observe and then thought it'd be a great souvenir. So I held on to it with the intention that I'd ask a staffer whether I could buy one. Continuing on for quite a while, I didn't find anyone, and before I knew it I was out of the palace with the coin still in my hand. Felt a little bad about that, but then I figure Kensington palace's finances won't crumble because of my little unintentional shop lift lol.

quaziright

Quote from: Bimat on September 30, 2018, 04:12:52 PM
My sister is back from UK (Well, that's an old story, she returned in the month of August!).

She did bring quite a few coins for me, none of which were commemorative. ::) They mostly used their credit card, so cash use was minimal. She also brought the new polymer notes for me, so it wasn't a total disappointment. :)

She also bought a very nice medallion at Kensington Palace for me, thinking that I also collect/like those. While I liked it, I'm not planning to start collecting them!

Aditya

I did get the 5£ note as it was released a couple months before I visited the UK. However, I haven't seen the 10£ yet. Did you get both of them?

quaziright

I'll see if I can find the token and upload a pic. I'm curious to check what exactly it's supposed to be a replica of

Bimat

Quote from: Figleaf on September 30, 2018, 05:24:56 PM
Can you show us your new medal?

Don't have the actual scan ready, but it's up for sale here. (The portrait is really BAD!)

Aditya

Figleaf

Well, Albert's portrait indeed could have been better, but Victoria's portrait on the medal is better than the one on the coins. She was in fact short and round-faced - shorter than shown in relation to Albert on the medal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Arminius

When i traveled through Scotland this summer the yield for a collector of coins from tourists change was rather poor and boring.
The diversity of pound coins had disappeared as the handsome copper-plated small change 1 and 2 pence coins. No Jersey, Gibraltar or exotic overseas material in the change, only one modern 50 p. commemorative.

But at the tourist hot-spots Westair reproductions inc. nursed my demand and addiction with cheap and interesting stuff corresponding the locations.

:)

Bimat

Quote from: quaziright on September 30, 2018, 07:45:43 PM
I did get the 5£ note as it was released a couple months before I visited the UK. However, I haven't seen the 10£ yet. Did you get both of them?

Couple of £5 and quite a few £10...

Aditya

quaziright

Quote from: Figleaf on October 01, 2018, 06:34:45 PM
Well, Albert's portrait indeed could have been better, but Victoria's portrait on the medal is better than the one on the coins. She was in fact short and round-faced - shorter than shown in relation to Albert on the medal.

Peter

At Kensington Palace, the outfit worn by Albert at his wedding (or perhaps the first time he met victoria) was on display. It seemed to be stitched for a man roughly 5'5 or 5'6. Besides that, the outfit was a tight squeeze for the mannequin that was already stick thin. I don't want to picture how his crown jewels would have been exposed haha. Even on a mannequin it didn't leave much to the imagination lol
Victoria on the other hand was diametrically the opposite; her mourning outfit was as wide as it was tall, and it was not at all tall. Perhaps 5' or so at most.