My collection of French Revolutionary coins

Started by maudry, December 02, 2017, 11:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maudry

Hello,
I have created an album with my Revolutionary coins.
I have almost finished with the "old currency" Deniers and Sols.
I would be happy about each comment you could make about the album. To help me improve it.
Thanks

bagerap

Interesting. I collect medals & tokens of the same period and probably have quite a few coins from those times. You have a good selection.

Arminius

Thanks for compiling these interesting issues of an important era for our civilization.

:like:

Figleaf

First of all, a very nice and interesting collection, with coins in a diverse state of wear and strike quality. My favourite is the double struck coin, a testament to haste. If you want to do research on financial, legal and economic background of the era, there was a series of learned articles on them in Numismatique & Change. Unfortunately, this was quite some time ago and I believe the magazine is now defunct. I could try to look them up, but not before June...

As for comments, I would recommend including a few Monnerons. CGB did a jaw-dropping booklet on them. Not sure if it is still available.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

maudry

Thank you for your comments so far.
I am happy if you like the coins.
Some are indeed very worn but if you check this one you will be surprised to discover that the flaw on the reverse does not come from wear but seams to be from the dies as I have discovered another coin from the same dies with the same flaw. Link on the picture.
I intend indeed to add my monnerons after I have finished uploading the official coins. There are not many though. I had not yet heard about the booklet from cgb.
I am still hesitating if I should add the coins in the new currency Franc to this album or if I should create a new one?
The articles from Numismatique & Change are certainly interesting to me. If it takes some time, that is not a problem  :)

maudry

I have added a couple of more coins, including two Monnerons.
One has been gilded, probably a very long time ago.
I am still unsure if I should add the decimal coins to this album or if I should create a new one.

Figleaf

In the end, it's your own decision. Decimalisation was a decision taken during the revolutionary period, but nothing stops you from keeping them apart from the pre-decimal coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

maudry

Yes, you are right.
I have decided to add some of my better Cinq Centimes.
Should anyone have coins missing in my collection and be interested to make a swap, I would be happy to get a message.

maudry

I have finished adding my 5 Centimes.
Next will be the Décimes.
The album starts to be relatively big though.