1p and 2 p copper and cps

Started by andyg, September 08, 2009, 07:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Quote from: Figleaf on September 08, 2009, 01:50:29 PM
You could do a project to estimate the mintage of the 1992 coins in Cu and Fe.

1. Collect a batch of them, preferably from circulation and separate them by metal (magnet!).
2. Count the coins in the two piles
3. Calculate percentage and apply percentage to total reported mintage. Round to nearest 1000.

So far so good. Now ask your British friends (not necessarily just the collectors) to go through steps 1 and 2. Add their totals to yours and do step 3 again. The larger your population, the more reliable your figures. When you see that the percentages don't change much any more, your estimate will be pretty reliable.

The project can be completely internet based.

Peter

Going from memory the 1992 2p in Bronze was sets only - not circulation.
Hard to believe I've been collecting that long... :o (since 1986 actually!)

UK Decimal +

I also have that suspicion about the 1992 2p bronze and 1992 1p bronze being special strikes only - as I said, I've yet to find a bronze one (magnet available!).

Back to the 1992 10p, I should soon be able to prove that there were three definate different varieties struck that year with a possible fourth or even fifth, although 4 and 5 might well be be poor strikes or unusual wear.

I have further definate information on the way which might prove or disprove my theories or completely boggle the mind.   Please be patient, I will report back on this as soon as I can.

Out of interest, the only 10p that I received in change today were four 1992.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

africancoins

A long time ago this exact table was on the website of the Royal Mint.

This should clear your questions on the G.B. 1p and 2p.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

UK Decimal +

Thank you very much for the table which confirms my suspicions.

Although the Royal Mint coin specifications were changed in September 1992, it appears that no 1p nor 2p had been struck for circulation before then so that it would be very very rare to find a bronze one in circulation.

I also agree with the temporary issue of bronze 1998 2p although out of 98,676,000 I still have to find just one.   If and when I do, I'll try to remember to add a note about it here.

Bill.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

BC Numismatics

Bill,
  I'm very surprised that you have never found a 1998 bronze 2p. coin,yet I found one when someone had obviously brought a whole lot of 1p. & 2p. coins back from England & sold them to my boss.

Yes,I still have it in my collection.

Aidan.

andyg

Quote from: BC Numismatics on September 09, 2009, 01:47:44 AM
Bill,
  I'm very surprised that you have never found a 1998 bronze 2p. coin,yet I found one when someone had obviously brought a whole lot of 1p. & 2p. coins back from England & sold them to my boss.

Yes,I still have it in my collection.

Aidan.

Bronze 1p and 2p I'm sure are being removed from circulation by the mint as the value of these is more compared to a copper-plated steel coin.

UK Decimal +

Most likely, but still plenty of brown coloured ones (i.e. older and more used) still in circulation and I've been searching for several years with(out) my magnet for the 1998 2p bronze.

Bill.

Figleaf

I look at dates only to identify the type and my memory is scarcely worthy of the name, but I think I saw them in a parking garage underneath Charing Cross station (the entrance is opposite Embankment Underground station), where there's a coin market every Saturday, if I remember correctly. :-\

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

Those bronze 2 Pence pieces from 1998.....

I first got one from change towards the end of July 1998. This was before I had seen any copper-plated-steel 2 Pence coins of that date in change.

The "1998 bronze" and the "1998 copper-plated-steel" differ in three ways - the "1998 bronze" is a bit thinner, the colours differ and the rims on the "1998 bronze" pieces are poorly formed (flatter). I do not have to look too closely to notice I have a "1998 bronze".

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

tonyclayton

Quote from: africancoins on September 09, 2009, 11:15:08 PM
Those bronze 2 Pence pieces from 1998.....

I first got one from change towards the end of July 1998. This was before I had seen any copper-plated-steel 2 Pence coins of that date in change.

That is logical, as the problems they had in producing the copper clad steel blanks got resolved later in the year. As soon as they were resolved, they stopped producing the bronze versions which even at that time had a notional cost in excess of 2p.

I was in correspondence with a very helpful lady at the Royal Mint who confirmed the situation .  Sadly she now seems to have left.

Tony