News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK Commemorative themes for 2018

Started by eurocoin, October 28, 2017, 07:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on April 19, 2018, 08:53:52 PM
No demand from the cash centres for 2 pounds coins. They expect that will not change any time soon. Since the demonetization of the round pound, people have revived old saving jars to spent the round pounds in time and have at the same time also spent or banked all of their other contents which has caused an enormous increase in the number of old coins suddenly returning into circulation. Of other denominations there are currently enormous stocks too because of this.
This would explain a lot.  In my 25 years of collecting, I can't recall a period like this.  So far I've seen a few 2017-dated 1p coins, and the £1 obviously, but nothing else.  At one point it seemed like every other coin I got in change (particularly the 1p) was the latest issue.  At present, it's more likely to be much older coins.  I sometimes encounter 2016 issues, but not all that often. 

It's to be put into perspective though - in the 1980s, few new coin issues were made at all.  The lowest point being the 1984-dated coins, with just three of eight denominations issued.

augsburger

It was like this in 2008/2009 period, hence the kew gardens 50p being rare.

Alan71

Quote from: augsburger on April 20, 2018, 02:20:42 AM
It was like this in 2008/2009 period, hence the kew gardens 50p being rare.

Not quite.  That 50p was indeed rare, and no standard design 50p was issued for circulation dated 2009, but the other denominations were issued.  2008 saw two versions of each of the standard designs issued (Ironside and Dent) and none of them are rare. 

It's too early to say though.  Andyg did report that other 2017 denominations have been struck, but are sitting awaiting demand.

See
https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/two-pounds-to-20p-issued

And
https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/10p-to-half-penny-issued

eurocoin

I think we can be sure a collectors coin will be issued for the birth of the new prince.

eurocoin

The Royal Mint will soon issue a 5 pounds coin in several alloys for the royal wedding. The coin will depict the portraits of Prince Harry and Megan. Interestingly the coin will have 'Harry' on it and not his official name Henry.

eurocoin

A quite nice coin. The design was made by Jody Clark. The Royal Mint was granted a private sitting with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to take photos that they could use for the coin design.

<k>

A big year for royal themes, then. There's the 70th birthday of Prince Charles, and the Queen's Sapphire Anniversary.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

It's all a bit incestuous isn't it?  When Ian Rank-Broadley's portrait came in, he seemed to be doing lots of commemorative designs.  Now Jody Clark is doing the same.

<k>

At least Jody Clark has done a good job, though I would have preferred it without that inner ring.

As for "incestuous", fancy talking filth on the forum, Alan71.  :o  Anyway, don't they have the same people doing more than one job at your company too? Or maybe employees should be sacked after six months, to avoid staleness.  :-X
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Bimat

Not exactly related to 2018 commemorative coins, but HM Treasury has posted a nice video of Trial of Pyx on Twitter. Link is:

https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/991014321198108674

(Can be viewed without logging-in)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

The Royal Wedding 5 pounds coin will be the 'Strike Your Own' coin at the Royal Mint Experience on May 19 and May 20.

eurocoin

All comments I have seen from collectors on the Royal Wedding design by Jody Clark were very negative.

chrisild

While I do not really care about royalty and who marries whom, I came across this article yesterday which basically toots the same horn. ;)  In German but with several Twitter quotes in English.

"Commemorate the Royal Wedding with this mass-produced coin depicting a random couple looking lovingly in each other's eyes." – "Only one word comes to mind - ghastly!" – "I want to get the designer of this coin into a quiet room and have a little chat with them about images of power and subservience" – "Words cannot describe how awful it is."

Christian

Alan71

Yes, it's not exactly the best design is it?  As <k> says, that inner circle is a bit too fussy.  It's too wordy.  Not sure it needs to say "Royal Wedding" on it.  Thankfully I've long since stopped collecting £5 coins so this one won't be coming anywhere near my collection.

eurocoin

The 'Strike your own'  royal wedding 5 pounds coin and the packaging it comes in, only available for 2 days from the Royal Mint Experience.