Author Topic: Akbar dam, Patna mint.. 987AH  (Read 537 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Akbar dam, Patna mint.. 987AH
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »
Hi,
A mint not easily found in coppers..
Obverse - Zarb Dar al zarb Patna
Reverse- Nuhshad hastad wa Haft , 987AH
Dr.Abhishek

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Re: Akbar dam, Patna mint.. 987AH
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:55:56 AM »
Another 988AH in my collection. Patna is known from 3 dates... 986, 987 and 988AH
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:08:12 AM »
Do you mean that copper Patna struck coins ar hard to find or that Akbar coppers struck in Patna are hard to find? A search on Patna in WoC gives me 6 pages of hits...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 05:55:18 AM »
All copper coins struck at Patna mint are scarce/rare! As a copper mint, dams of Akbar bearing dates from 986 to 988 are known.. No copper coin of Jahangir is known from Patna. Shah Jahan dams are known but are scarce and known only for Ry12 and Ry13. For Aurangzeb , An unique double dam is known in Bibliotheque Nationale de Paris bearing mint name Patna. Light weight dams (13-14gms) bearing the changed name 'Azimabad' is known in Aurangzeb reign in Ry50 and Ry51. Finally rare copper paisa in the name of Muhammad Shah is known with Ry12 for Azimabad (Patna). So in all Patna is scarce/rare copper mint for the mughals.
I have mentioned all known coppers coins so far for patna mint. 
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »
Interesting. I wonder now if Indian mints had a system that was usual in other Asian countries, notably Japan: separate mints for silver and copper coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 07:25:55 AM »
Interesting. I wonder now if Indian mints had a system that was usual in other Asian countries, notably Japan: separate mints for silver and copper coins.
Doesn't appear so. There are instances where the higher metal may not have been minted but as far as I know, all Gold mints did mint silver and all silver mints minted copper. However, since the dies were substantially bigger than the coin flan, a lot of coins, to this day remain unattributed. Besides this, coppers were considered to 'poor' to study and hence were always ignored.......and in turn melted - by the truckloads. Copper was also the common mans money and hence circulated more..... and hence often wore out faster. Coppers were used to over strike later coins....... all this made copper more scarce than it actually was.

A pure guess - copper, at least in earlier times was mainly used to pay the army (the Dam could buy a family their rations for more than a few months - at a time when storage was not easy) and was minted only when there was an army stationed in / around a mint town... and hence we come across only specific dates in the copper coins found. More may be around but are, may be still to be discovered or may be the other way around - the coppers were used regularly and wore out (hence melted), except what was used to pay the soldiers and the ones that took their pay and were later killed in battle, had their money (which was stashed away) lost as no one knew where it was hidden.........only to now be found - for collectors like us.

Amit
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:44:04 AM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 12:36:56 PM »
I like your guess, Amit. It does bring up the question of what was used for small change. I remember reading that almonds were. Possibly seeds also.

I also take your point on the neglect of copper. It makes the work of collectors like Abishek, you and other Indian copper coin collectors even more important, but it should caution against calling any coin scarce or rare. I prefer "hard to find", as it is more vague and more circumstantial.

Peter