News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Mountains and volcanoes on coins

Started by Galapagos, September 04, 2009, 03:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javier

Russia, 3 Rubles, 2022

Two new coins from Russia in 2022!

In the reverse we can see a relief image of the stela "Friendship of the peoples of Karachay-Cherkessia" or a relief image of the building of the Government of the Kabardino-Balkarian Republic against the background of a stylized image of the Elbrus peaks. The mount Elbrus is the highest peak of the Caucasus Mountains. The dormant volcano rises 5,642 m above sea level and it is the highest stratovolcano in Eurasia.

Javier

Romania, 1 Leu, 1963.

Curious coin where we can see on both sides a representation of mountains. On the obverse we find a farmer on his tractor plowing his land in front of a rising sun between two mountains. I could not find out if these mountains correspond to a specific place or if it is an idyllic picture of the effort of the peasantry in Romania. On the other side, we find the national coat of arms of the Romanian People's Republic, where we find a wooded mountainous landscape in the background. I suppose that these mountains will be the Carpathians but I have not found any reference either.

Figleaf

The double mountains seem to be exactly the same shape on both sides, so they may all be one real or imaginary mountain that represents the Carpathian range in a sort of heraldic sense.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Guess that "Carpathian" is precise enough. ;) "The emblem shows a landscape with a fir-wood and the Carpathian Mountains, on the dexter a derrick and in the sky a rising sun all proper." (Wikipedia about the CoA)

<k>

So what does "all proper" mean in this context? I swear that I have never seen a half-proper sun in my life.  :-\
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

In heraldry, proper refers to colours. They can be heraldic (e.g. a masonry crown is red, or a climbing lion can be any heraldic colour, from gold and silver to black, red or blue) or natural, in which case it is called proper. A red sun, as e.g. in the Japanese flag, is heraldic, a pale yellow sun is proper. Usually (there are no hard rules in heraldry) elements that are naturally drawn are getting proper colours, while symbols gat heraldic colours.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Gusev

China 5 Yuan, Taishan Mountain. 2019

Mount Tai is a mountain of historical and cultural significance located north of the city of Tai'an. It is the highest point in Shandong province, China. The tallest peak is the Jade Emperor Peak, which is commonly reported as being 1,545 meters.
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

Javier

Philippines, BSP series, 1995/2017

The logo of the Bangko Sentral NG Pilipinas (BSP) adorns the reverse of all (except the 5-sentimo) coins of the BSP Series. The logo was adopted in 1993, it consists of a stylized representation of the sun hovering over a mountain range (note that I could not find which mountains or volcanoes they are and I suppose that these ranges are a representation of the stability and strength of the country)  and above the Philippine flag which are frame by a wheel.  However, the Philippine flag was incorrectly displayed as it was depicted below the sun and the mountain ranges. It violated the provisions of the Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines, which states that the Philippine flag should never be displayed under any picture and shall always be hoisted aloft. The BSP Numismatic Committee concurred and agreed to recommend switching to another logo which is legally compliant, eventually paved way for the new logo we see today in the central bank and new serie currency.
1 piso.jpg10 pisos.jpg

Pabitra

Quote from: Javier on October 02, 2022, 01:32:14 PMeventually paved way for the new logo we see today in the central bank and new serie currency.

Except that after issue of NGC series, BSP changed its logo and is yet to issue coins with new logo.