Tiny, thick 'pill' like coin which I think is from India (Update: Japanese)

Started by CameronK, August 27, 2017, 03:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CameronK

Greetings;

I just came across this little gem, and would like some help identifying it. I think it's from an Indian state, but can someone confirm or re-direct me please?

It's 10 mm, 4 mm thick (!!) and weighs 2.9 grams.

Thanks!

Why? I coax stories out of unidentified coins.

capnbirdseye

Strange coin  :o  both sides have the same design with what looks like a crude human or native god perhaps?  It doesn't look Indian to me but no idea where
Vic

Manzikert

Japanese 'mameita gin' I think. These come in numerous sizes and there is no 'weight standard' as they were bulion rather than coins. The figure is the god of wealth, Daikoku, and the 'coins' can be dated by the different styles of the figure.

Alan

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

CameronK

Wow, Japan. OK thank you. I don't know if an administrator can move this to the Japan board for me? Thanks for the assist!

Finn235

http://charm.ru/coins/jp/Mameita-gin/Mameita-gin%20guide.html

Japanese mint workers were masters of sneaking little "signatures" into their coins. Your coin seems to be a Tenpo mameita gin, 1837-1858, 26.1% silver.

I recall that these types with Daikoku were essentially presentation pieces or gifts to the aristocracy; there were also simpler pieces with characters only that more often entered circulation. Check your coin's rim for small banker's marks to see if it was ever certified to circulate.

Good find, these coins are worth a decent little sum.

CameronK

Thank you for the detail. No chop marks on the rim but I'm really enjoying learning about these pieces.