M Robson & Co. Gateshead

Started by malj1, August 08, 2017, 09:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

M Robson & Co. Gateshead

Penny consimilar copper 31.7mm
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Having looked at a number of your shop tokens now, I am getting the feeling that a number were produced at the same plant, where they may have had a generic penny die and a neat set of letter punches.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bhx7

My first of the M Robson tokens. Also acquired today from a fellow collector

M Robson - Gateshead
Denomination: 6D
Wt: 4.35g
Dia: 23.8mm
Thk: 1.1mm
copper-nickel

bhx7

So Latest token to add to my NE collection.
The image is the sellers image. Will take another when in hand.
I paid a bit more than I would like for this one, but hadn't seen one before.

M Robson of Gateshead
1/2D token

Figleaf

There's got to be a sixthreepence...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

Quote from: Figleaf on June 27, 2022, 01:33:43 AMThere's got to be a sixpence...

Peter
There is - see above. Did you mean threepence?

bhx7

Quote from: Figleaf on June 27, 2022, 01:33:43 AMThere's got to be a sixthreepence...

Peter

So I have been really lucky enough to have been sent the "CHECKS, TOKENS, AND PASSES OF COUNTY DURHAM AND NORTHUMBERLAND"  by Jeffrey Gardiner published in 1996. In his work he only states 3 tokens for M Robson of Gateshead, the ones above. However, he does add there are 2 further tokens under MATHER ROBSON LTD New Shop Gateshead, a 1d at 31mm in AE and a 6d at 19mm in WM

So here is my photo of the 1/2d

Material: Copper?
Dia: 26mm
Thk: 1.3mm
Wt: 5.6g

Figleaf

I take it that the above picture is of the same token as the one in reply #3 (except that the sides have been switched around)?

Do you have an idea of how the design of the Mather Robson tokens is different from this series?

Peter

bhx7

Hi Peter

Unfortunately not yet as I haven't actually seen any. I am hopefully catching up with another NE collector this comming week, he may have a better idea as he has been collecting for over 30+ years

Quote from: Figleaf on June 29, 2022, 07:31:49 AMI take it that the above picture is of the same token as the one in reply #3 (except that the sides have been switched around)?

Yes it is. That is my image the previous one as stated was that of the seller.
Brian

bhx7

Quote from: Figleaf on June 29, 2022, 07:31:49 AMI take it that the above picture is of the same token as the one in reply #3 (except that the sides have been switched around)?

Do you have an idea of how the design of the Mather Robson tokens is different from this series?

Peter

So a little bit of a later reply. I managed to find an image of one of the Mather Robson tokens. This is from an old auction.

The token isn't mine so can't give any specs.

Brian

Figleaf

Fun addition, but it still leaves us with ½d, 1d and sixpence. I'd love to see the threepenny bit and any higher denomination, so we could start a page on WoT. No need to sell any internal organs. All we need is pictures and research.

I don't know about any place on the net or elsewhere that has as brilliant a collection as WoT on UK department store tokens. They have a story to tell that's part of British history. Please keep coming with your finds, Brian. We need them to make progress.

Peter