Author Topic: Odd Question About A Krugerrand ... Box?  (Read 643 times)

Offline paulb104

Odd Question About A Krugerrand ... Box?
« on: October 25, 2019, 06:00:55 AM »
Ok, so this might be odd but I thought it'd be appropriate here.

I know that old ring boxes and old jewelry boxes, even empty, are collectible.

Here is a small metal box that I'm pretty sure is for an original issue, 1/10oz krugerrand.

Might anyone be able to confirm this with me?

Thanks so much!

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Odd Question About A Krugerrand ... Box?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
I presume you have already checked diameter and depth. If there is no other indication on the box, you will need an eye witness. I was collecting coins at the time the Krugerrand gold pieces were first issued. I do not remember ever having seen one offered packaged, except in standard plastic flips. However, your box seems American, or possibly British. It may have been added locally, so you would not have seen it is other countries.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline paulb104

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 11:28:23 PM »
I absolutely checked diameter, but not depth. I actually have 1/10's, but they're away someplace safe and certainly not readily available. Sometimes the US Mint has fancy shmancy gift boxes so that's kind of what I was thinking this might have been similar to...

Offline paulb104

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 01:02:04 AM »
So my young daughter noticed on the bottom that it's stamped with Farrington Box. I never even saw it. The letters are like 1mm high. I'm going to send them a message, maybe they can let me know what its purpose was. I don't think it was a ring box. A dime (US) fits in it quite nicely.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 01:16:16 PM »
That's what you have budding teenagers for, Paul. Don't worry, it will get worse :) One day, she'll be solving your computer issues.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline paulb104

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 03:48:59 PM »
Gee thanks for that. I still have a few more years before she even becomes a teen  :-\