Photobucket stops third party hosting

Started by Overlord, June 30, 2017, 09:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

We replace all our images on Photobucket with the ransom image, so they won't be able to tell them from the the real ransom image. Then we find and edit the real ransom image to show the image of a coin. Photobucket will think that this edited ransom image is the real image and switch it with the links of the fake ransom images we have uploaded on the site. Then we cunningly go back and replace the fake ransom images with the images of the coins.  >:D

I'll start fixing my images this weekend.  :-\

Update: I had two Photobucket accounts. I managed to download one album (nearly 900 images) from the newer one and am reducing file size as a single batch using Irfanview.

malj1

I mentioned previously that I use Google+ they now call this Google Photos

I did some checking of my Google account and found that if you use the High Quality option you then have unlimited free storage.

After selecting this option i/o Original my storage use of 1547 photos dropped 1GB and the Google photos now reads zero used. This took an estimated one hour whilst I went off and had dinner.

I have 15GB free storage.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

<k>

The danger is that eventually Google will also drop its free services. For that reason I am also slowly moving my Google-hosted images to WoC.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

malj1

Maybe but these are purely photos which are backed also on my personal MyCloud and on a third hard drive.

I prefer not to share my coins publicly with the neighbours!
Malcolm

Bimat

Considering the recent experiences, I do not think I'll ever take the risk of embedding my images from a third party website. Direct upload on forum henceforth. :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

malj1

Here's an article from Yahoo about the Photobucket debacle.

It hadn't occurred to me that it has also affected the philatelic fraternity in a big way.
Malcolm

constanius

Well it turns out it is was not Photobuckets fault that the links in my posts are broken, it was mine!

What the  f**k now they are blaming us for picking the wrong plan :wall: not that they changed the terms.

Pat

WillieBoyd2

I have three pictures hosted by PhotoBucket due to an unrelated problem with my website hosting company.

As of today (July 9, 2017) the images are still there.

:)
https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

malj1

This is interesting,  ::) even libellous ? ???

Photobucket victims wanted!

If you are a victim of the recent price change at Photobucket and if you are affected with their new hotlinking policy, we welcome you to Fotki!
Malcolm

Bimat

Quote from: malj1 on July 18, 2017, 01:09:50 AM
This is interesting,  ::) even libellous ? ???

Photobucket victims wanted!

If you are a victim of the recent price change at Photobucket and if you are affected with their new hotlinking policy, we welcome you to Fotki!

That sounds good (although I don't think I'm going to try it), but unfortunately won't solve our problem of embedded images. The links will have to be replaced by new ones manually which is not an easy task!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

Quote from: malj1 on July 18, 2017, 01:09:50 AM

Can anyone explain 1) why pay if for less tan €100, you can hook up a 2 terabyte external hard disk weighing practically nothing to any computer? 2) what the difference between the options is apart from storage space and 3) how to get "Custom watermarks" mentioned in the long table? ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Globetrotter

Hi,

I have all my images and other data on my 1Tb external disk, which follows me all over the world. I back it up around twice a month either on my PC in Paris or in Normandy.

The google site with my variants is no longer updated, since it's too much work.... Instead my variant documentations can be found here or in Numista under the concerned coins.

No links, no problems 8)

Ole

Globetrotter

Hi,

I have all my images and other data on my 1Tb external disk, which follows me all over the world. I back it up around twice a month either on my PC in Paris or in Normandy.

The google site with my variants is no longer updated, since it's too much work.... Instead my variant documentations can be found here or in Numista under the concerned coins.

No links, no problems 8)

Ole

Overlord

I have found a trick for fixing the broken links, while ensuring Photobucket still hosts those photos.  >:D

1. Open the photo page on Photobucket.

2. Click the Download link at bottom right.
3. Copy the URL of the page that loads and use it within IMG tags.

Example:
[IMG width=600]http://s805.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fyy340%2FMajesticOverlord%2Fimage_zpshxx50ld7.jpg[/IMG]

malj1

Too late she cried!  ::)

I don't have a Photobucket account any more. :(
Malcolm