Ladakh, AE Paisa, VS 1924, issued under Doghra domination, KM# 9.

Started by PeaceBD, May 24, 2017, 06:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeaceBD

Ladakh, AE Paisa, dated VS1924 (1867), issued under Doghra domination,  obv. Nagari legend, rev.: Persian legend, KM# 9.

Even though I can read Nagari very well I had a hard time deciphering the legend on the reverse. I could read the alphabets to where I could understand the first line and name Ladakh in the third line but had a difficulty reading the whole thing. Below is the explanation.

Note from S.B on FB: The legend in Nagari is श्री गजाधरजी सहा जरब लदाख। कलमरव जमूं (Shri Gajadharji Saha Jarab Ladakh Kalamrav Jammu) The last words are taken to mean "overlordship / government of Jammu". कलमरव is Nagari rendering of Farsi word قلمرو which means Dominion or Empire. The same words appear in Farsi on the other side as
سری گدادهر خی سهایء ضرب لداکه قلمرو جمون
The letter ज is often used instead of य in North Indian dialects of Hindi, and गजा is used instead of गदा commonly too.

Thanks
Bhushan

Figleaf

Excellent coin, Bushan. Every detail is there.

If you are having trouble reading that text, how would I do without the explanation? Thank you for contributing it. :thumbsup:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Would 'Gadadhar Sahay' not be an invocation for help to Lord Hanuman (Gada Dhar = Bearer of the 'Gada') - as is used in normal practice rather than the rulers name? Unless of course there was a ruler by this name when there coins were minted. Many states used invocation of the name of a deity on their coins - like Bundi - 'Ram singh'?

Amit

PS: I have never studied these coins and have no idea of them - this is just from experience.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

WEll, S.B on FB is now also our member SBox. You could send him a PM...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.