News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Holes, cracks in `most-secure' new £1 coin ???

Started by malj1, April 28, 2017, 08:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

On eBay today: a mystery coin which is in fact the centre of one these new pounds.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Bimat

Quote from: malj1 on April 28, 2017, 08:15:55 AM
On eBay today: a mystery coin which is in fact the centre of one these new pounds.

The Sun now has a story on it!
Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

augsburger

And the Sun even manages to equate secure with security like a bank, oh, jeez, who buys this TRASH? It's like they're telling their 'readers' that people are going to break into their coins and.... and... and why would break into a coin?

onecenter

Looks like the 21st century version of the Australian Holey Dollar and Dump.
Mark

chrisild

Have not tried it out with a £1 coin yet, but the €1 can be separated with a little effort. Leaving it in a freezer for a few hours, and then dropping it, helps. ;) Has something to do with different thermal expansion coefficients, I once learned ...

Christian

FosseWay

I've never taken a £2, €1 or €2 apart, and I've yet to see a £1 in real life, but occasionally Italian 500 lire coins would spontaneously disintegrate. These have a groove in the outer ring (around the circumference of the hole) and the middles have a corresponding ridge. Presumably this is supposed to offset the different thermal expansion characteristics of the metals.

onecenter

I have some old Italian L.500 bimetallics that rattle, but I would never try to destroy a coin.  Makes me shudder.

Long ago, the Paris Mint had come up with a minting process that "locked" the center and ring as the planchet was struck.  I would imagine that such important technology has been shared with other European Union nations and possibly worldwide.
Mark

chrisild

Taking such an absolutely not rare coin apart out of sheer curiosity is excusable, I think. (After all, I have done it myself one time. ;) ) More about the technology is in this older topic by the way ...

Christian

eurocoin

velind

Copy paste from Times of India news paper. (To be verified)

Zlata Rodionova
THE INDEPENDENT

The new 12-sided £1 coin described as the most secure in the world is facing a controversy just a month after entering circulation.

Some of the new coins, being sold on eBay , appear cracked or seem to be missing the middle part of the coin. Sellers say "minting errors" have caused a number of the coins to separate. John Taylor, a coin collector, told The Sun: "It is a definite Royal Mint error. The sellers claimed they had come from a sealed bag from the bank, which in turn came from the Royal Mint."