The jigsaw series is broken. Should it be scrapped?

Started by <k>, April 23, 2017, 01:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we scrap the jigsaw series?

Yes, let's commission a new design series
13 (72.2%)
No, leave it as it is - it doesn't really matter
4 (22.2%)
No - change the design of the 12-sided pound instead, to match the jigsaw series
0 (0%)
Don't know
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

<k>

The only option I didn't consider is that Matt Dent might be asked to redo his jigsaw puzzle, after the 1p and 2p coins are demonetised.  :-X
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan71

Quote from: <k> on May 01, 2017, 11:55:20 AM
The only option I didn't consider is that Matt Dent might be asked to redo his jigsaw puzzle, after the 1p and 2p coins are demonetised.  :-X
Well if he was, it might be an improvement?  You'd get more of the shield on each remaining coin?

I was looking at the 20p the other day.  Of all the denominations, that one gets the worst deal.  It's basically a leg and a tail.  No individual coin design could get away with that.

The 10p and 2p perhaps get the best deal, though the 5p looks good too.  Not fussed on the 50p as it's upside down, but at least much of the harp and animal are present.

<k>

Quote from: Alan71 on May 01, 2017, 12:10:45 PM
Well if he was, it might be an improvement?  You'd get more of the shield on each remaining coin?

You like the idea?  :o  I want to see the back of the jigsaw series entirely.

I was looking at the 20p the other day.  Of all the denominations, that one gets the worst deal.  It's basically a leg and a tail.

Yes, an animal's bum on the Queen's coinage. Disgraceful.  :-X

The 10p and 2p perhaps get the best deal, though the 5p looks good too.

Some of them are superbly engraved, it's true.

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on May 01, 2017, 11:55:20 AM

While I don't really want to bring politics back to this topic, it would still make sense to me to ... wait. :)  Assuming that one day Scotland and Northern Ireland are allowed to vote on their future status just as the UK was allowed to do that, the results may or may not have an effect on such coin designs. Now if the 1 penny and 2 pence coins were to be phased out very soon (as in really soon now), then an updated puzzle design may make some sense.

But how to do that? The "gaps" cannot be filled by the £1 and £2 coins, as they (especially the brand new 1 pound coin) have different designs. And spreading four parts of the CoA across four coin denominations ... that comes close to asking for trouble. ;)

Christian

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on May 01, 2017, 12:55:20 PM
The "gaps" cannot be filled by the £1 and £2 coins, as they (especially the brand new 1 pound coin) have different designs. And spreading four parts of the CoA across four coin denominations ... that comes close to asking for trouble. ;)

Spreading them out across the 5p, 10p, 20p and 50p. I see what you mean. It is looking less likely at the moment that any constituent country will secede - after all, Flanders and Quebec have on several occasions looked likely to secede over the past decades, but it hasn't happened. But, of course, it can't be ruled out entirely.

The designs of the prior decimal series assigned the 2p to Wales, the 5p to Scotland and the 10p to England. Northern Ireland got nothing - but see The Strange Story of the Northern Irish Two Pence. Nobody complained. Would it be different nowadays?