Author Topic: Aurangzeb- Elichpur . Dispelling the confusion! Alamgir ii or Alamgir I  (Read 217 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Dear member,
Misinformation and confusion is rampant in attribution of copper coins. This post aims to clear the confusion between the copper issues of Alamgir I and Alamgir II. The previous post by Dr. N Sreedhar illustrating a beautiful Alamgir II Elichpur paisa dated 1172AH ( http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,48286.0.html ) prompted me to post the following coin. The internet is filled with images of coins of Elichpur mint with legend of 'Sikka Mubarak badshah Alamgir' and bearing no dates. These are generally attributed to Alamgir I (Aurangeb Alamgir) and sometimes to Alamgir II rather randomly and arbitrarily. As illustrated by the coin of Dr. N Sreedhar that the coins of Alamgir ii bear the legend 'Sikka Mubarak Badshah Alamgir' which is clear by the date 1172AH. Therefore, there should not be any confusion that the coins with similar legend (without date) can be attributed to Alamgir ii. These coins are heavyweight dams and weights nearly 20 grams in weight approx. All these were minted under the Nizam of Hyderabad wen Elichpur was a busy mint

Now the question arises, which are the coins of Alamgir I (Aurangzeb)then? The copper coins of Aurangzeb are rather rare much like the silver/gold issues. Surprisingly they bear the legend 'Aurangzeb badshah ghazi' . The coins are light weight dams bearing weight of about 14 grams. Thus there should not be any confusion regarding the copper issues of Alamgir I and Alamgir II.

Obverse - Aurangzeb below the divider and remnants of Badshah on top of divider
reverse- Zarb Elichpur
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
OK, part of the problem is cleared up. Coppers with 'Sikka Mubarak Badshah Alamgir' must be Alamgir II, because of the dates found on them. Coppers with 'Aurangzeb badshah ghazi' are Alamgir I because they look like the silvers and gold coins of his reign. Correct?

However, that raises new questions for me:
  • Does this rule also work for silver coins?
  • How do you distinguish coins of Alamgir I from those of Aurangzeb?
Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
The rupee is simple to distinguish. It has Aurangzeb Alamgir written on it with Badr i munir couplet. Alamgir ii has sikka mubarak couplet. The only problem was to distinguish the copper coins. Since Alamgir is written on copper coins , they are always misattributed to Alamgir I (Aurangzeb) rather than Alamgir II. The Alamgir I copper coins(posted in this thread) is so rare that few have seen them adding to the confusion. Hopefully members of the forum will understand the difference now.
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Great. Thank you. This thread is a fine service to present and future readers!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Nice information, Abhishek. It would be a great help to collectors who wish to get educated (there a lot who just refuse to learn when offered a misattributed rare coin cheap). It may be helpful if we could add a few images here - even of coins without date to further clarify the issue. From memory, I recall that I have posted a few coins of Alamgir II Elichpur here and will post links / pictures here. However, it would be great if you can add a few images here.

Amit 
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Will post some examples of Alamgir ii when I click them soon. As a simple guide, whatever one sees on the internet when one googles 'Alamgir Elichpur copper coin' are all Alamgir ii.. ;D ;D ;D
Dr.Abhishek

Offline drnsreedhar

• Meritorious Member
Excellent info Dr.Abhishek. I will also try to post a few Mughal Elichpur coins of Alamgir-II. Thanks
Dr.Sreedhar