Decimals: APPARENT edge inscription errors

Started by <k>, February 26, 2017, 07:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Which edge inscription errors exist? I've read:

The Guy Fawkes 2 pound commemorative was issued in 2005. On some of the coins released into circulation, the inscription reads "Pemember, Pemember the Fifth of November instead of "Remember, Remember".

africancoins has replied in another thread:

Quote from: africancoins on February 27, 2017, 08:57:45 PM
I think the "PEMEMBER" pieces I have seen were all only slightly (if at all) circulated and I perhaps last looked for this about 10 years ago. I could have one or two somewhere.

I do not consider this to be particularly significant.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Apparently "PEMEMBER PEMEMBER" is not an error - it only looks like "PEMEMBER" because of wear caused once in circulation

Also, the Guy Fawkes coin exists with "STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS" instead of "REMEMBER REMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER".

Can anybody confirm that this error exists?

See also: Mis-strikes and myths

FosseWay

Quote from: <k> on February 27, 2017, 02:31:58 PM
Apparently "PEMEMBER PEMEMBER" is not an error - it only looks like "PEMEMBER" because of wear caused once in circulation

If it's circulation wear, why does it only affect those two letters? I'd have thought it is more likely due to worn or dirty collars during the minting process. Whether such phenomena should be counted as varieties or errors, or as anything at all, is another issue.

FWIW I have a 1999 Rugby World Cup £2 on which the edge appears to read WORLC CUP because the D is defective. A similar case to PEMEMBER, I suspect.

<k>

Quote from: FosseWay on February 27, 2017, 08:36:23 PM
If it's circulation wear, why does it only affect those two letters? I'd have thought it is more likely due to worn or dirty collars during the minting process. Whether such phenomena should be counted as varieties or errors, or as anything at all, is another issue.

FWIW I have a 1999 Rugby World Cup £2 on which the edge appears to read WORLC CUP because the D is defective. A similar case to PEMEMBER, I suspect.

If it's just down to wear and tear, making it look like a misspelling, then it's not really an error or even a variety, but perhaps it is still worth mentioning as a misnomer.

Quote from: africancoins on February 27, 2017, 08:57:45 PM
I think the "PEMEMBER" pieces I have seen were all only slightly (if at all) circulated... and I perhaps last looked for this about 10 years ago... I could have one or two somewhere......

I do not consider this to be particularly significant.

Different opinions?

<k>

Also, the Guy Fawkes coin exists with "STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS" instead of "REMEMBER REMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER".

Can anybody confirm that this error exists?  Or is it actually a forgery?

mrbadexample

As far as I'm aware the PEMEMBER issue is just due to the tail of the R coinciding with the edge reeding and it being a bit faint because of this.

Not heard of the other error.

<k>

Yes, you would wonder how somebody would manage to include the wrong letter in whatever implement stamps the edge. So, it has to be just wear or dirt that caused the apparent error.

As for Guy Fawkes and "STANDING" mule, I can find no other reference to it, and so far nobody here has heard of it.

nomadbird

Quote from: <k> on March 01, 2017, 12:46:54 AM

Have checked few pieces in my collection, not found that 'STANDING' error yet.... will keep an eye
Thx
Nomadbird

<k>

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on March 01, 2017, 12:46:54 AM

Where did you get that information from?

I have asked my acquiantance and he doesn't have any information about the existence of such piece. In addition to that there are no known forgeries with this error.

<k>

From Tony Clayton:

Rare two pounds mule

but he doesn't give any source or proof.

<k>