News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

A unique set- Bahadurgarh mint

Started by abhinumis, February 23, 2017, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhinumis

Hi all Mughal coin lovers,
BAHADURGARH MINT - بهادر گره
Presenting a very rare set. A rare mint almost heard of in coppers.. The village of Pedgaon, in the district of Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, sits on the left (north) bank of the Bhima River, and on the west bank of the Deo River.The village consists of one fort known as the Fort of Pedgaon or 'Bahadurgad'. 'Bahadurgarh' was the name given to a large fortified township which rose out of the Mughal camp of Khan-i-Jahan Bahadur Khan Kokaltash, when he founded it in 1672 as a base to conduct campaigns against Shivaji, on the banks of the river Bheema in Bahadur Khan was the 'milk-brother' of Aurangzeb and a high-ranking Mughal courtier.
In 1678, Bahadurgad witnessed a change of events, when Shivaji's son Sambhaji fell out with him. Sambhaji was said to have taken refuge in Bahadurgad which was then in the control of the mughal general Diler Khan. But soon Sambhaji realised his mistake and returned back to his father.
Later in 1680, after Shivajis demise,Sambhaji became king. He continued the maratha resistance against the mughals.
In 1689, Sambhaji was captured at Sangameshwar by the mughals. He was brought to Bahadurgad, this time as a prisoner. Sambhaji was subjected here to a horrific torture and asked to convert to Islam. But on Sambhajis refusal he was shifted to Tulapur where he was beheaded.
Later this fort of Pedgaon came under Nizam Salabat Jung, the mughal governor (Nizam of Hyderabad). The Nizam was then at war with the marathas.

The mint is known only for 3 rulers in coppers and all are displayed here
Dr.Abhishek

asm

Doc, I'd like to see all the coins in full glory........ Post them individually on the same thread.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

abhinumis

Bahdurgarh- Jahandar Shah paisa, 13.82gms
Dr.Abhishek

abhinumis

Farrukhsiyar - Bahadurgarh
Dr.Abhishek

abhinumis

Dr.Abhishek

asm

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

A great fun set. TFP.

It reminds me once more how much I have to learn. From your background story, it sounds like a fortress as the nucleus of a military base. If so, that would be significant. Military strategists have long known about the disadvantages of a static defence, which is exactly what the fortress is. It would have been a tempting target for the Mughal's enemies and a death trap for all inside if it could have been surrounded. This must have been known in Asia at least since the battle of Mohi, some 400 years before. At best, Akbar was confident he could keep the Shivaji on the defence, but he couldn't take their land, so they wouldn't be tempted to take the fortress while he was campaigning, but it would be a border outpost later.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.