News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Mexico 1973 One Centavo

Started by Prosit, December 17, 2016, 01:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

In 1970 Mexico reduced the size of the Centavo from an already small 16mm to 13mm and changed the composition from Bronze to Brass. It was minted in 1970, 1972, and 1973 with a mintage of 1 million each year. The year 1973 was the last 1 centavo coin.

I don't consider this a rare coin but it can be a challenge to acquire an example. I got one for $5.50 US and the catalog list it as $17.50 in MS but we all know how catalogs are.

KM # 418 is considered by many to be a "Lucky" coin to carry. I don't know about that as it seems to me at 13mm it would be easy to misplace and I don't consider losing money lucky.

Anyway, seems to me to be harder to find than a million mintage implies and I am happy to get one.

Dale

Figleaf

Remember those encased small coins with the text "keep me and never go broke"? Maybe it was considered "lucky" in that sense...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.