Author Topic: overstruck civic copper with mysteriuos design...  (Read 97 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
overstruck civic copper with mysteriuos design...
« on: May 01, 2021, 02:38:08 PM »
16,15g / 26mm
Struck and re-struck at least twice, the last strike shows a strange design that I am not able to classify : animal ( crayfish ?, scorpio ?,insect? or vegetal ?
the closest designs found on civic coppers refers to "cypress" or "fish"....in addition, the inscription at right of it isn't very clear. (" عقرب " / scorpio ? )

I see remains of a lion on this coin which bears (zarb ?) Rasht at top on the left picture.

Suggestions are welcome....
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: overstruck civic copper with mysteriuos design...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 05:28:37 PM »
My vote would be for a scorpion, or rather the zodiac sign scorpio.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 08:53:42 AM »
Thank you Peter, it would be great if it were a scorpion because among the zodiac signs it is one that seems never to have been found on a coin. indeed the design is very approximate.
I still wonder about the inscription placed on the right which could be "scopio" ('aqrab)  ???
The last strike is probably from the Qajar era.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:18:48 AM »
I wonder if it couldn't be a calligraphic combination between the end of the tail of a scorpion bearing the stinger and the word 'aqrab  ???

for comparison : a Buthidae, major iranian scorpio species .
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 11:24:33 AM by saro »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 10:48:38 AM »
Fun thought and it seems possible. From your overlay, it seems that there are 4 to 5 characters or design elements to the left also. Another thought: maybe you should turn the coin 90°?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:08:06 AM »
You are right Peter, there are other  erased scripts on left but I think that they belong to a previous strike ?
I already turned the coin in all directions with an attentive look, a magnifying glass and a good light...which allowed me to detect a former lion design so that the remains of a peacock, this last hardly visible from my pictures).