Author Topic: A really cute UZQ dam of Akbar  (Read 654 times)

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My blog page on coins
A really cute UZQ dam of Akbar
« on: October 22, 2016, 01:58:51 PM »
Hi,
Wanted to show a really beautiful Akbar Dam of Urdu Zafar Quarin mint. The entire flan is available with deep impression. I've seen the quality of UZQ dams are usually much better then other mints and this one is not an exception. Can I assume that due to proximity of the emperor and other noble man in the camp, better engravers and mint masters are available in the mint resulting of much improved coinage.
Thanks,
Saikat
------------------------------------
Started a blog at https://saikatscoins.blogspot.com/

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: A really cute UZQ dam of Akbar
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:06:51 PM »
Very nice specimen, congratulations with this one ! Can't say anything about the quality of the different mints but this one appeals like a tasty little piece of chocolate !

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 07:12:54 AM »
I believe Urdu Zafar Quarin is a camp mint, i.e. it is a mobile installation that moves with the army. Such mints are usually in a hurry to keep up with army spending and reduce metallic loot to more compact money. If the coins of Urdu Zafar Quarin are above average, that can mean only that circumstances were different. I suggest that this camp mint name was not used for a mobile mint, accompanying the army on a campaign, but for the needs of the mughal when he was travelling.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 12:12:35 PM »
I believe Urdu Zafar Quarin is a camp mint, i.e. it is a mobile installation that moves with the army. Such mints are usually in a hurry to keep up with army spending and reduce metallic loot to more compact money. If the coins of Urdu Zafar Quarin are above average, that can mean only that circumstances were different. I suggest that this camp mint name was not used for a mobile mint, accompanying the army on a campaign, but for the needs of the mughal when he was travelling.

There is a new consensus emerging amongst experts:  URDU is the mint name found on all coins minted after Akbar forbade the use of the mint names on the coins at the turn of the millennium (around 990 AH). It is around this time that one finds the coins with mint name disappear - except a very few mints. We also see the introduction of the new Ilahi era coins at this period of time.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"