Author Topic: Canadian 25c Lot  (Read 660 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Canadian 25c Lot
« on: February 17, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
Received this nice set of Canadian 25 cent commemorative coins yesterday. There are quite a few duplicates but not complaining about it as all as I paid €1 for the entire set. Nice coins! 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline quaziright

Re: Canadian 25c Lot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Nice...I get stuff like this in change and in my rolls every other time. would send you for nothing....but postage to send abroad is ridiculously expensive. On numista, I don't trade with anyone who doesn't accept regular mail...and I dont swap with anyone in countries where it's deemed unsafe to send by regular mail. so pretty much leaves North America and Western europe

The new 150 anniversary coins are due any day now. Will be getting several of them for my swap partners globally.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »
While sending coins to India is difficult, it is not impossible. My preferred method is a go-between in Europe, known to the Indian party and going there regularly. Second choice is registered mail. The rules are:
  • Nothing on the envelope to indicate that there are coins inside, least of all a customs declaration. If your own post office insists on one, describe the contents as washers, badges or pins without value
  • Impossible to feel the coins from the outside
  • Coins are not visible when envelope is held before a lamp
  • Coins don't clang (bad idea anyway)
  • Weight indicated on the outside, so that receiver does not unwittingly receive an empty envelope
  • Closing flaps and other easy to open ends are marked with indelible ink, markings covered by transparent tape, so it shows when envelope has been opened

The last two points can be combined: write weight across closing flap and envelope, cover with tape. I lost more packages to and from North America than to India (but I sent and received much more to North America).

Peter
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:20:41 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
Thanks; it would be a nice idea ... but sending around 25-30 coins sets me back around 11-15$ for regular mail ... and when you combine compensating my go between with coins or money for the postage to and fro; just seems like a lot of wasted effort. Cheaper to buy most Asian coins on eBay or through people on numista. I don't particularly collect modern Indian coinage because the strikes are terrible. I dabble in a few older Indian coins from time to time. I probably pay a little more for good quality coins here, but atleast if there are any issues, I can always go back to the dealers in North America.ive heard some nasty things about the ethics of Indian dealers.

Nonetheless If there were some coins which were difficult to buy and I had to swap with someone in Africa or Asia, I'll definitely keep your notes in mind

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Canadian 25c Lot
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
Thanks for the comments! :) I do not collect Canadian coins as such (not even the $2 commemorative coins), but this lot was an unexpected purchase!

Sending a regular letter to India can be risky but not always. I once received a letter sent from Europe (unregistered) which weighed over half kg...and it arrived within a week! One of the advantage (perhaps the only advantage ;)) of regular letter is that it is usually not sent through customs (my experience so far), unless it's too heavy. The half kg letter I received unregistered too was not examined by customs.

Riskiest thing to do is to send letter by private courier. Not only that it's highly expensive, but those letters are scrutinized very strictly. Avoid at any cost!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.